The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2007, 11:21 PM   #1
jlaird

CPP tie-rod adjusting sleeve

I need to get this to go from a 69 to 73-87 tie rod end. I understand what tie rods I need, but my question is about the length of the sleeve. My stock sleeve is 6 inches long. On the CPP site, they have an option for a 5.25" long sleeve and an 8" long sleeve. I'm assuming the shorter one is the correct one to use, but I wanted to ask you guys first.

And if anybody knows where to get one of these cheaper than the $50 CPP wants, I'm all ears!

thanks,
josh

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...uck/CP4SCS.htm

Last edited by jlaird; 04-15-2007 at 11:24 PM.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:10 AM   #2
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Re: CPP tie-rod adjusting sleeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
I need to get this to go from a 69 to 73-87 tie rod end. I understand what tie rods I need, but my question is about the length of the sleeve. My stock sleeve is 6 inches long. On the CPP site, they have an option for a 5.25" long sleeve and an 8" long sleeve. I'm assuming the shorter one is the correct one to use, but I wanted to ask you guys first.

And if anybody knows where to get one of these cheaper than the $50 CPP wants, I'm all ears!

thanks,
josh

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...uck/CP4SCS.htm

Those are the same ones I just bought. You need the 5.25". My advice, buy the tie rods from CPP also inner and outer because the threads on the 69 side of the sleeve is a left handed thread. I live 20 miles from CPP so shipping is going to get you. Word of caution, on the adjusting sleeve, one of the nuts on the 69 side does not fit. So I have to go 20 miles for one nut,... Damn!
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
jlaird

From what I read, I shouldn't have any problems if I use the 69 outer tie rod end at the inner tie rod position. I read it a million times here so I'm pretty confident.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Here is mine. Remember the threads in the sleeve on the 69 side is left handed, so our old ones do not fit because they are right hand threads.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

You know, I think these sleeves look a hell of a lot better than the stock sleeves.

I was two seconds away from ordering these from CPP, but I stopped to come here and ask:

Does anyone out there make a similar tie rod sleeve like this for MATCHED tie rods (like, matching year 67-70 inner/outers, or a pair of 73-87 inner/outer tie rods?)

Just curious. I'm gonna need to get new tie rods to match my spindles and steering setup, so I figured .... might as well get a "modernized" sleeve at the same time.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 03-13-2008 at 09:25 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

For matched tie rods you can get the stock sleeve.
I went to the adjustable because I chose to just change the outer tie rods to 73 and keep my 69 inner tie rods. Thats the only reason for the adj sleeves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
You know, I think these sleeves look a hell of a lot better than the stock sleeves.

I was two seconds away from ordering these from CPP, but I stopped to come here and ask:

Does anyone out there make a similar tie rod sleeve like this for MATCHED tie rods (like, matching year 67-70 inner/outers, or a pair of 73-87 inner/outer tie rods?)

Just curious. I'm gonna need to get new tie rods to match my spindles and steering setup, so I figured .... might as well get a "modernized" sleeve at the same time.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
shifty
Questionable

Like I said, I think the stock tie rod sleeve looks like complete crap. It looks like something archaic from the 50's, and I don't want to use it

I'd like to find a sleeve like the CPP unit that has a trap nut on either side for adjustments.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
SkylineNXS

If you wanted to make one like this for matched rods, i dont think it would work, since u would need one left hand thread and one right hand thread. As u turn to adjust the rod, a matching thread (if im thinkin right) would not bring the rods together or push them apart, it would just move in the same direction along both rods. You could make a sleeve that has matching threads like this if you didnt need to adjust the rods after installation, as in you would thread the rods in by hand, then put on the truck. If im worng call me on it, but i think im thinkin straight...

BRAD

1966 C10 SWB Fleet, 250 I6, three on the tree....

Previously Owned....
1987 Chevy R10 "Silverado" (at least the badges were) Short Step 350 700r4....

1972 Chevy LWB Fleet 350/350

EXTENDED CAB ALL THE WAY!

.._..~...-...._...____
.._..-...______|_|__\____
..-..~.|_(O)__|_|__|_(O)]
SkylineNXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #9
shifty
Questionable

All you would need to do is thread the tube the exact same as the stock one. I have a hard time believing nobody out there sells such a thing.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #10
c10addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
Like I said, I think the stock tie rod sleeve looks like complete crap. It looks like something archaic from the 50's, and I don't want to use it

I'd like to find a sleeve like the CPP unit that has a trap nut on either side for adjustments.

I would like to know too... I seem to bend mine when I have the air blown out and i turn it too far or hard....
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:19 AM   #11
Shane
Account Suspended

What are you guys willing to give for such an item? I may be able to help, but be fore warned that left handed taps are expensive.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:47 AM   #12
shifty
Questionable

I've decided I'm just going to get the stock one. It looks like crap, but for $10, I can't expect any better. I'd pay up to $25/ea (maybe $30/ea) for a good quality one such as the CPP unit, need one for a 73-87 but I doubt this is a cost-effective price for anyone to manufacture - break-even point would probably be too far out. There has to be a reason nobody is making em.

CPP's prices are overly inflated, IMO.

Last edited by shifty; 03-14-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:05 AM   #13
Shane
Account Suspended

So, you'd be willing to pay $30 each for these?

Next question ...what is the thread pitch for the 73-87? I'm guessing 11/16"-16?

Last question (for now): How long do these need to be for the 73-87? (end to end)

Last edited by Shane; 03-14-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:21 AM   #14
shifty
Questionable

If I weren't buying the stock sleeves at between $6-$10/each, yes, I would pay $25-30 each *given* that the quality was on par with what CPP is making and they looked badass, have the wrenching provisions for tightening everything up, etc. I bet a lot of other guys wouldn't pay more than $20/each for them though. Hell, CPP has the adapters @ $49/pr, but like I said ... I do think that's a bit inflated IMO.

Width - At least 5.5", the stock sleeve is 6" wide IIRC.

Thread pitch - I have NFC. CPP has some figures at their site for the 67-70 and 71-72 but they conveniently neglect to say what a 73-87 pickup uses the latter of the two are 5/8" and 11/16", respectively.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:41 AM   #15
Shane
Account Suspended

Here's an example of some of my company's work ... I'm pretty sure we got the "badass" qualifications filled.

Last edited by Shane; 03-14-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:31 AM   #16
HavinSomeFun
Still Just Havin Some Fun!

Shane, how far down yonder are you? Texas by chance?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:34 AM   #17
Shane
Account Suspended

Alabama ...