The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
1974k5blazer
Account Suspended

Need Help With Air Ride System!

Ok so I went to go get in the Binder the other day to drop the front and i hit the switch and nothing happen, so i went to lift it, and it went up but will not go down! I know nothing about bag sytems, there is a junction block inside the engine compartment, where the air line comes into, with two little black solinoid looking things that say mass magnet on them with a ground and a hot wire coming out of them. I figured one was to open the valve and one to close it or something?? and on one of them it looked like the ground wire got pulled out a little, most likely got stepped on while putting the motor in, so I switched the two "mass magnets" around to see if it would now go down but not up! but still did the same thing will go up but not down, I even changed switches to see if i just had a bad switch! what else could this be, do i have a stuck valve or something? It seems to be a very simple system, i have have two switches, one for the front and back up and down, and one to turn the compressor on and off! PLEASE HELP, I'LL POST PICS TODAY!
Old 03-13-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
PrerunnerRob

Re: Need Help With Air Ride System!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1974k5blazer View Post
Ok so I went to go get in the Binder the other day to drop the front and i hit the switch and nothing happen, so i went to lift it, and it went up but will not go down! I know nothing about bag sytems, there is a junction block inside the engine compartment, where the air line comes into, with two little black solinoid looking things that say mass magnet on them with a ground and a hot wire coming out of them. I figured one was to open the valve and one to close it or something?? and on one of them it looked like the ground wire got pulled out a little, most likely got stepped on while putting the motor in, so I switched the two "mass magnets" around to see if it would now go down but not up! but still did the same thing will go up but not down, I even changed switches to see if i just had a bad switch! what else could this be, do i have a stuck valve or something? It seems to be a very simple system, i have have two switches, one for the front and back up and down, and one to turn the compressor on and off! PLEASE HELP, I'LL POST PICS TODAY!
Yep, those would be the fill and dump valves, and it sounds like you either tore a wire out of the solenoid coil, or the wire has come loose. Either way, it's going to need repairing. Usually with these valves, there will be a housing box that screws onto the solenoid, with your wires leading from it. If this is so, remove the screw, carefully remove the cover, and there should be some wires attached to the solenoid coil. There are usually 3 terminals, marked 1, 2, and ground. DONT HOOK UP TO THE GROUND!!!! (The ground is used on non-automotive applications, where a seperate wire is used to creat a real ground, not a loop back to the battery.) The two remaining terminals are what are going to be used, it does not matter what lead goes to which of the two terminals. This is probably where your wires pulled out from, reconnect them to the correct terminals, and you should be done. If you are having trouble visualizing what I am saying, look at this link. Look at the 3d view vs the regular view, and notice what is missing. That is the piece I am talking about removing. Let me know if you need any more help!

http://www.fbirides.com/product.asp?...icks&idno=8289

Last edited by PrerunnerRob; 03-13-2008 at 05:11 AM.
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:20 AM   #3
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Also...if you do in fact have the Blitz valves....they may also have an LED between the the terminals (used as a clamping diode)....Have some one hit the dump-switch, and check to see if there is power.

Be sure an stand clear, just in case.

Try cracking the line to the bag...to relieve some pressure, then try again.

If your running mulitiple batterys, try shoot'n 24v momentarily to the valve to see if it opens.

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
1974k5blazer
Account Suspended

this is what im working on! I know its not a chevy but atleast its got a chevy power plant!

1974k5blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
badriand

thats cool, don't see to many internationals around here. that is what it is right?
badriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
1974k5blazer
Account Suspended

yes its a 1974 international 100
Old 03-14-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
PrerunnerRob

Sweet! Did this resolve the problem?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
1974k5blazer
Account Suspended

took off the plug you were talking about with the screw on top! and switched to the other one to see, if it was bad, and it did the same thing! i checked the plug and it didn't look pulled out it still had all three connections in there! im stumped, but that doesn't take much cuz i don't have too much experience with these, how much are those mass magnet things? i wouldn't even know where to find them?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
PrerunnerRob

Quote:
took off the plug you were talking about with the screw on top! and switched to the other one to see, if it was bad, and it did the same thing! i checked the plug and it didn't look pulled out it still had all three connections in there! im stumped, but that doesn't take much cuz i don't have too much experience with these, how much are those mass magnet things? i wouldn't even know where to find them?
Ok, lets back up here. Grab a test light, and check to see if you have power to the valve when you throw the switch. You could have something as simple as a loose connection at the valve, switchbox, etc. If no power, follow your wiring back to the switch. See if you have power there when you throw the switch, if not, check the other side of the switch to see if you have any power at all! I'm not trying to put down your skill level of troubleshooting, I just thought it would be easier to begin with the basics.

If you need a valve and solenoid coil, you can get one here:
http://www.fbirides.com/product.asp?idno=8289

Let me know how it goes!

Last edited by PrerunnerRob; 03-15-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Quote:

this is what im working on! I know its not a chevy but atleast its got a chevy power plant!

Cool look national...what's up with that smashed green wire ?? Is that the valve with the issue ??

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"

Last edited by ChiefRocka; 03-15-2008 at 05:36 PM.
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
1974k5blazer
Account Suspended

yes it is! but i put this on the other valve and it didnt change the out come so i figured it was ok!