The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2008, 04:35 AM   #1
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Exclamation Anodized Aluminum Grille & Trim lines: "Custom." "Deluxe" ???????

Can anyone give me info on trim lines? I pretty sure my truck is a base model by the #'s. But I have saw 62 Fleetside at a carshow once with custom emblem on the glove box, and had a stainless or aluminum grille. ??????? What all came with CUSTOM TRIM? What all came with Deluxe Trim? I want to put the Custom or Deluxe Package on my truck.

• I do know that Chrome grills were not available on Chevrolet trucks between 1960-66. The deluxe trucks used a high shine anodized aluminum. Due to the rarity of this grill, restorers today usually chrome the standard white grill. GMC offered chromed grills - not anodized aluminum.
In 1962:
New modern hood without oval openings as in previous years. Character line around body is now continued around sides and front of hood. Parklamp lens is mounted in similar location surrounded by aluminum bezel. Turnsignals are now standard equipment. Grill is similar except center oval has 9 rectangular openings made from 2 vertical and 2 horizontal bars. Lower bar again has CHEVROLET embossed. Single headlamps are now used surrounded by large ribbed bezels. Custom cab trucks trim extended from front fender to rear of bed on fleetside models. A second strip of trim branched off of door trim and extended to rear of bed. Side emblems consist of a red bowtie and the series designation on top of a vertically ribbed background.

Chevrolet used a different grille every year for 1960-1963 year models. The grille for the Chevrolet was the same for 1964-1966 year models. The Custom Cab trucks had an aluminum grille. Chevrolet used two different dash panels, 1960 - 1963 and 1964 - 1966
Wrap around windshields for the 1960 - 1963 trucks are much more expensive than the 1964 - 1966 trucks. Parking light lenses for the 1964 - 1966 GMC are much more expensive than the lenses for the Chevrolet. Turn signals were not required until 1962, so the 1960 - 1961 may have add on signals instead of factory-installed. Most came factory installed but some farm trucks were sold with out them at all.
Door locks: the standard was on right side door only. The option was offered for left side lock.

Does anybody know where I can get a 62 chrome, anodized alunimum grille for my 62 Pro/Street. The grille that I have now is Perfect Condition. And I can not find any online Chrome or alunimum.....So I guess I will have it sent on to be Chromed. If anybody can help me just give be a hollar! I have plenty of PARTS to SELL...rebuilt 3speed trans, very good hood, front and rear bumper, tailgate, ford 8.8 (3.08 gear) rear end that will mount on a 62 rear end...Just ask me!
Thanks,

1960--1966 Chervolet C-10 Rundown:

• The famous high oil pressure Chevrolet 235 six cylinder engine (since 1954 in trucks) was mostly discontinued at the end of the 1962 year. Only the 4x4 carried it through 1963.

• With the 230, 250, and 292 series of new Chevrolet six cylinders in 1963, came the introduction of the alternator. The cast iron generator was history. A separate voltage regulator was near the radiator support core through 1975.

• For 1960, GMC introduced their own cast iron V-6, 305 engine. This very dependable, powerful worker was carried until 1969. GMC made this their only power plant through 1965 when they also used Chevrolet’s inline six.

• Both Chevrolet and GMC in 1960-63 and in 1964-66 cabs came from the same tooling. However, each brand has their specific style of dash board welded to the cab.

• From 1960-62 both Chevrolet and GMC 1/2 and 3/4 ton came with torsion bar for front suspension (no front coil springs). This is an excellent system and gives a smooth ride in comparison to the straight axle system from 1959 and older. It is said that high production costs resulted in a change to a more conventional coil spring design in 1963.

• Chevrolet park light lenses were from the same mold between 1960-66, however, federal regulations required an industry change from clear to amber in 1963.

• GMC park light lenses in 1960-61 are different than 1962-66 (neither are like Chevrolet). Due to the change to the amber color in 1963, the 1962 GMC clear lens is a “one year only” style. GMC park light lenses have the words “Cats-Eye” molded into the plastic.

• In-dash factory air was available on new Chevrolet trucks in 1965, though GM dealer installed under-dash air had been used since about 1958. GMC did not offer in-dash factory air until 1967. Dealer under-dash air was a GMC option.

• Only AM radio (non-push button) was available in either Chevrolet or GMC between 1955-69.

• All pickup bed bottoms remained the proven yellow pine with metal bed strip design.

• An excellent example of standardizing pickups (they were designed as work vehicles) is the step bed. Almost no changes between 1954-87.

• Large back windows in cabs were an option. Some buyers in warmer states preferred to always stay with the small window to lessen interior summer heat.

• In 1961, 1/2 ton wheels changed from having spring clips to hold the hub cap. Three raised spots on the center wheel hub now held a new hub cap design. This reduced both hub cap and wheel production costs.

• The dual sealed beam headlight design of 1958 GM trucks was replaced in the 1962 Chevrolet with the single light system. In GMC, their dual lights were used to the end of the 1972 series.

• To lower costs, pickup rear bumper brackets in 1964 changed from a forged design to stamped steel.

• Chrome grills were not available on Chevrolet trucks between 1960-66. The deluxe trucks used a high shine anodized aluminum. Due to the rarity of this grill, restorers today usually chrome the standard white grill. GMC offered chromed grills - not anodized aluminum.
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
kissingbug1978

Re: Anodized Aluminum Grille & Trim lines: "Custom." "Deluxe" ???????

Or you could sale me your grill and I'll have it chromed and use it on my 66. And you could hope to find another one some where else. LOL
kissingbug1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Talking Re: Anodized Aluminum Grille & Trim lines: "Custom." "Deluxe" ???????

HA HA.........You done fell and bumped your Head.
Ha Ha.........Yeeeeeeah.
"I don't think so!" Ha Ha. She is in Perfect Shape! Believe I just hang on to it.
I will more in likely have it at Charlotte Plating, Inc., because they are the Electroless Nickel Plating Experts close by.
Charlotte Plating, Inc.
417 Hebron Street
Charlotte, NC 28273
Ph: 704-552-2100
Fax: 704-552-2113
http://www.charlotteplating.com/

I also found these places on the web I am going to check out as well:

Mirror Image Plating & Polishing Inc
518 Atando Ave
Charlotte, NC, 28206
(704) 370-6566

Charlotte Metal Finishing Co
3029 Bank St
Charlotte, NC, 28203
(704) 521-9446

Prime Time Chrome
3500 Carolina Ave
Charlotte, NC, 28208
(704) 395-0764

Custom Chrome Shop
2808 Rosemont St
Charlotte, NC, 28208
(704) 392-3013

Thanks Anyway kissingbug1978

Old 03-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
fuelpump

I really like this look

Name:  0606cct_13_z+1962_chevy_shortbed+front.jpg
Views: 12986
Size:  70.6 KB

this is why

Name:  truck 025.jpg
Views: 5518
Size:  71.6 KB
fuelpump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
kissingbug1978

Can't blame a guy for trying. I love the dual headlights on these grills. If I ever find one. you better believe it will be mine.
kissingbug1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #6
62ChevyStep

Here is my 62 with the factory Aluminum grille, cab badges, (side trim will be added when the short fleet bed is finished)
Attached Images

05'Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5
62ChevyStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

She looks good 62ChevyStep. Sharp! I have been all over the Web and can't find a Aluminum grille, or a reproduction Grille. So I guess Chromeing the one I have is my only option. Are you going to put the Chrome Bumper Guards on your bumper?

Old 03-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #8
salazar44
65 - Chevy C10

I really like this look.. hehe

salazar44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:14 AM   #9
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Anyone got any ball park figures on how much it would cost to rechrome a 62 Grille?
Have not checked on it yet.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:39 AM   #10
factorystock

Many trucks you see today may have not been built from the factory as true "custom cabs". It is very easy to slap on a chrome grill and bumper to fool a novice. The Custom Appearance Option,(Z61) included stainless windshield molding, cab trim plate, anodized aluminum grille, different steering wheel and horn ring, chrome trimmed instrument knobs,glove box plate and off white interior door panel trim.The Custom Chrome Option(V37) added chrome front bumper and chrome hubcaps.The Side Trim Molding Option(B98) added anodized aluminum side moldings to fleetsides.In the interior, the Custom Comfort Option(Z62) added a full foam cloth and vinyl seat, right sun visor, chrome cigar lighter, extra insulation, right door lock and left armrest.The VIN # does not show if it was built with these options, but the original build sheet or (1966 glove box decal) will show this.So, it is possible to build a clone with a standard model truck during these years.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:20 AM   #11
QWYKTRUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bad62Pro/Street View Post
She looks good 62ChevyStep. Sharp! I have been all over the Web and can't find a Aluminum grille, or a reproduction Grille. So I guess Chromeing the one I have is my only option. Are you going to put the Chrome Bumper Guards on your bumper?
Have you tried this guy yet??
http://www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com/grilles3.html

Q
QWYKTRUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:18 AM   #12
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Thumbs up Re: Anodized Aluminum Grille & Trim lines: "Custom." "Deluxe" ???????

Yeah....thanks guys. I love the custom package. Even my truck was a plain jane, I want to put the custom or deluxe package on it. I like the Chrome/Aluminum and yellow look. That Website seems promising QWYKTRUK.
Rico's Rods & Relics Specializing in 1947 to 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Parts
http://www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com/grilles3.html
1962 Chevy Chrome Grille Coming Soon! 1962 Chevrolet C-10, C20
Part Number: ?
Price: Check Back! UPS Freight: Oversize 62 Chevy Grille Chrome Plated Reproduction With Chevrolet Lettering in Black Made to Exact Detail of OE

I will keep you guys updated on my progress of my Project: Full Metal Yellow Jacket.............................................................................................