The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
chvtrkman

Recent trip to the boneyard

Well, I made my first trip to the boneyard in about 8 or 9 yrs. It's not the closest one to where I live, but it's got 10,000 "vehicles" on the premises.
The bad news: The last time I was there I remember them having a whole section devoted to older vehicles. There must have been 20 or 30 trucks from the 1960-1972 era.And that was just GM trucks, there were just as many Dodges, Fords, and even a couple of Jeep and Internationals.I guess the owner felt all that vintage steel was taking up too much precious space cause he crushed 'em all. The earliest year I saw was a '75 C-10, and it was stripped down pretty good. Oh well. I was hoping to find some parts that aren't being re-produced. I will have to intensify my search.

The good news: My trip there (about 50 miles) wasn't a total waste of time. I did manage to find a pair of bucket seats in an '84 Blazer that are re-storable.I know they are high back seats, and our 67-72s had either buddy buckets or the low back buckets (which I'd prefer),but these are close enough.....and for $35.00 I'm not gonna complain.
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
78 C-10 305 TH350 new (old) daily driver
02 Suburban Z71 a.k.a. the family truckster
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
chvtrkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
mtndewmaniac66
Do the Dew!

Re: Recent trip to the boneyard

The sad news is, the older trucks and cars do fetch a better penny due to the amount of steel, as you may already know. What is worse is that America is facing a steel shortage, so our precious classics will be disapparing at a higher rate. Most all of our salvage yards are pushing many older, and heavier vehicles to the crusher. I am sure that we all have seen the news on the steel shortage, as well as hearing about Chinas involvement, but the shortage is greater than we are aware of.

Here is a link to an article of Chinas involvement.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkkyPCd...06/focus7.html

What I really HATE is that when we Americans make purchases of finished steel goods, just to realize that that dumoflochy, or gizmo, (or worse yet, those cheap WalMart bikes) was once my neighbors Packard.

(I am stepping off my soapbox now)
mtndewmaniac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:31 AM   #3
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Re: Recent trip to the boneyard

Here's my soapbox comment:

An old guy-veteran I know reminded me of some "before-my-time" history:

Japan bought scrap metals at premium prices for several years before WWII.

He said: "Your generation's kids or grandkids will get to experience the fun of having all that US scrap iron that we're selling right now, today, shot back at them. This next time tho, it'll be by the Chinese. Better get ready......."

Something to think about.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote