The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
machonepower

I need some help before I dynamite the old girl.

My 69 GMC cd/1500 has a 350 air etc... The thing doesn't want to crank. I replaced the plugs. Tried to tune the carb. It has an edelbrock carb. It will crank with ether. I put two bottles of alchol in the tank just in case of water. I was planninhg on putting on a new carb, 4bbl intake and headers when I get the funds. I've heard of vapor lock, could this be possible and if so how do you fix it. Since i'm a disbled vet I just sit here day after day with no way to go. I would like to get her running right again. The timing is alaso alittle of. Any help would be appreciated. Happy Saint Pattys day to you all!

machonepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
RustyParts

Re: I need somehelp beforeI dynamite the old girl.

If it it will run on ether I would say the needle valve is stuck in its seat in the carb, fuel filter is plugged, fuel pump is shot, or there is an obstruction in the fuel line (not likely). Good luck.

The math teacher said my son "Bubba" could be a mathmatical genius. cause he's got 13 fingers!
RustyParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
odog

Does it start and try to run on ether? If so, then you are not getting fuel, which sounds like a carb problem. It may be a fuel filter, but In my little experiences, the truck will start, then the filter will plug and cause loss of fuel. Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
machonepower

Thanks. Feul filter ok. I thought possibly fuel pump also. I don't know much about carbs(or anything else). When I use ether and she starts, it runs like a top. When I try to cold start, it's like it isn't getting any gas. I spray it crank it and it starts time and time again. I know the timingis off, when I run it around get it hot turn it off, and try to recrank it, it sometimes hesitates badly like the timing isn't right. if i wait 1-2 minutes between cranks it seems to crank right up. Go figure. Thanks for all the help.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
RustyParts

Take off the air cleaner and while looking inside the carb push the carb linkage a couple of times. You should see a stream of fuel squirting out. If there is no fuel squirting out the fuel bowls on the carb are empty indicating fuel system is at fault.

The math teacher said my son "Bubba" could be a mathmatical genius. cause he's got 13 fingers!
RustyParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:12 AM   #6
machonepower

thanks, i'll try that. I sprayed starter fluied in her today and started her with no gas pedal. It started and quit with some smoke out of the pipes. I then starter it with no pedal and was hitting like it was getting little or no fuel. After i lightly pressed the gas a few it started. Took around the block. She burned the tires ran great. I turned it off and on several times with no drag. What happens tommorow, we'll see? Thanks for the help. You guys are great!