The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
1fast71

tranny question

so ima kid and still think burnouts are one of the funnest things n the world so heres my question i have a 71 c10 with the granny 4speed so its slow but torquey i need to stop doin as much burnys so would a automatic slow me down on doin burnouts? its a th350 outta 76 chevy 1/2 ton o and would my truck top out better?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
Psycho71

Re: tranny question

Hmm,

The only way I see it (th350) holding you back any, is that first gear might not be as low, as the granny 4spd you have now. But i could be wrong on that too. The stick shift guys will clear that up.

Both tranny's have a final drive ratio of 1:1. So no help on the upper end.

The rear end gear is what you'd need to change to get the help you need. Going to a numerically lower gear would decrease off the line torque, and lower high end rpm's. But that's a lot of work when a little self control is what the doctor is really ordering here. Something tells me that after a few tickets, higher insurance rates, and a few sets of rear tires, you'll lighten up on the throttle a little bit.

Don't get me wrong, I have a few sets of black marks on a few roads. But you can leave black marks with a Yugo. So that's no great accomplishment. Getting one to "hook-up" and go forward is what it's all about. Work on that, and your self control. And if you have none of the latter, change the rear end ratio, yor pocketbook will appreciate it too.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
1fast71

haha thanx
Old 03-19-2008, 02:01 AM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Put an egg under the gas peddle......then think about the big mess it will make when you "mash the motor" Let me know if it works for you( Im 50 yrs old & still have a lead foot!) LOL crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:37 AM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

actually, he probably already has the 3.07 freeway gear.
I agree with the ticket comment. I had 3 in the first 2 years of driving, then no more for well over a decade. I hate throwing money out the window.
I still have problems keeping tread on my tires... but there is a time to play, and a time not to.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:49 AM   #6
haysonj

Put a glass of water on the floor board and give your wife/girlfriend $5.00 every time you spill some You'll slow down pretty quick LOL
Old 03-19-2008, 04:21 AM   #7
wibilly

when a rod comes out the side of the oil pan that will slow you down i would think to do a respectable burn out you must be doing it in 3rd gearor arodwould have already said peek-a-boo. i never tried to do one in my truck but i'm in 3rd after about 6' if i use second at all