The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
aks62c10

Disc brakes for manual transmission ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 62 c10 with a 4 speed manual trans. manual steering and manual brakes with a dual hydraulic master cylinder ( clutch/brake combined ) . What are my options for converting to disc brakes ??? Also planning on air bags very soon but keep getting conflicting information on what has to be done to the front suspension . I.e. front crossmember from a 63-66 c10 , 67-72 c10 , or 73-85 ? Are there any benfits of one versus the next. Any comments, suggestions, please help me out . THANKS
aks62c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
slepysal

Re: Disc brakes for manual transmission ?

Welcome from San Jose. You can convert to disc by swaping out the cross member to a later year, 73-up.
Or you can get disc brake spindles. You can get stock or 2 1/2 drop. They will bolt on to your original ball joints.
Now the problem with 60-62 is that dual brake/ clutch master cylinder. You can buy a power booster thatis made for our trucks , but it coast about 500.00. or you can fab up your own , or convert to cable operated clutch or go with an aoto trans.
I have a 250 with a clifford manifold that wont let me run a power booster, so I am going to go non pwer disc brakes.
As for the air bags , I cant help you, but feel free to ask any more questions

"Over, Around or through it... "

Last edited by slepysal; 03-19-2008 at 06:54 PM.
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote