The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
meekdog

Air flow from vents while rolling but not when stopped.

When I'm driving I get air flowing through the AC vents even if the heater or AC is switched off. The faster I go, the more air comes in. If I'm stopped no air comes in. If its hot ouside I get hot air. If its cold ouside the air seems to be a little warmer than the outside air. I'm sure its a flap or valve or something but I have no idea where to start without tearing everything apart to find the problem. PS, I also have constant vacuum to the tube which goes to the passenger side kick panel vent. I'm guessing thats not normal either. Thanks for any help you can give, Meekdog.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: Air flow from vents while rolling but not when stopped.

I would suggest making sure the air door in the cowl is closed. There is a vacuum operator that closes the door and it may not be working. Check for vacuum at the operator.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC

Last edited by JimKshortstep4x4; 03-20-2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Changed wording
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Re: Air flow from vents while rolling but not when stopped.

I've been messing around for a while now with mine so here goes under the dash in the cab where all the heater box stuff is there is one part called the A/Conditioning upper lower diverter box its the one that the S-Plenum is attached to. In this box is a flap that controls whether your air is diverted to the windshield or the floor vent when you select it on the control panel, these fail and the flap stays open letting the air come through your A/C diverter balls and cener vent (this was my problem) I would say your diverter box is the prob as well. The passenger kick panel vent should have vacuum to it keeping it closed and when you select inside air the vent will open, also check the vent door under your cowl look through the slots on the cowl on the passenger side and see if it is open or closed this might have some bearing on your outside air prob. Have a look at5 this thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=283860

There you go Jim helped me.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger

Last edited by eightbanger; 03-20-2008 at 02:28 PM.
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote