The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
1966ponyguy

More easy questions & Progress report (kinda long)

Work is going pretty well, step-son spends a couple hours each night working on his first ride (68 lwb, now swb). We have the frame stripped down bare, and he has most of the clean-up and sanding done on the frame. Should be ready to prime and paint this weekend or early next week. In the past, I have used brush on bed liner as a replacement for undercoating and frame paint. It's actually a nice medium gloss smooth finish when not applied with the roller texture. Very, very tough, maybe even more so than powercoating. Still need to find a 73 - 87 rolling frame to pull the front crossmember and rear end out of. The bed is lying on it's back in the work shop awaiting help. I guess I will be teaching the fine art of welding next week. Anyways, enough of the progress report, now for the questions:

Has anyone tried to find car rotors that will replace the truck rotors, that would give a 4.75 bolt pattern for the front. There are so many more "used" wheels out there that he likes with the car pattern. I could set them up on the mill and re-drill, but I would rather not monkey to much with the brake / hubs. I have several 12 bolt car rear ends that have the small pattern, just need to find one with the closest length. Just asking, may not be a simple swap.

Question #2: I have heard or read that folks use a S10 bumper on the front, any pics and or year models to work the best would be great. Also S10 fuel tank swap info as far as model year / 2wd or 4wd.

Question #3: Since we have shortened the frame to the swb size and are planning on running a 700r (due to the TPI setup). From what I can measure, looks like a one-piece driveshaft would easily work. Replacing the 2 piece and carrier bearing. I know someone out there has tried this, any factory driveshafts come close, or are there problems I'm missing? Just a rough measurement puts the drive shaft at about 5' or so. The only catch I can see is he is installing bags on all 4 corners and I'm worried about the driveshaft clearance at the crossmember that mounts the rear trailing arms.

Thanks guys for all the info already, can't wait each evening to see what's new on the forum.
1966ponyguy is offline   Reply With Quote