The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
prg machine

antifreeze in oil

My friend had an intake manifold changed by a local shop. He picked up the truck, drove 20 miles or less and the rod bearings let go, the engine was knocking bad! It was a 350 with 50,000 miles on it. He took t back to the garage after people told him to ask if they changed the oil............they said there was no need for it.
Is it the fact? If antifreeze gets in the oil it can take out the bearings?
Crane roller cam lifters and rockers ,1.6 intake ratio, Open chamber heads, 9.5-1 compression ratio, 2.02 intake valves , Edelbrock performer Air Gap manifold Carter AFB performer 750cfm, MSD ignition, SM465 NP205 4.10 gears:
prg machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
streetstar

Re: antifreeze in oil

antifreeze in the oil is usually indicative of a head gasket leak. Antifreeze is usually mixed with water, which will dilute the lubricating properties of the oil and break it down much faster.

Most people with this condition overheat it and seize it first though because of the lost coolant. I guess the shop could have botched the intake job, but its such a simple procedure, i dont see how, unless the mechanic was stoned

Nonsense! I'm in my prime

Last edited by streetstar; 03-20-2008 at 09:02 PM.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

Generally, any shop that is doing engine work such as changing an intake, would drain the water/antifreeze soas not to let water into the oil.

Is the oil still black or is it milky white?

Also, since he had a new manifold installed, was it a stock manifold or aftermarket (as in more HP)? I know that I would jump onj my engine with a new manifold to see what it would do. Are you sure he did not just blow it up? (Don't take offense, just asking)
Old 03-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
neonlarry

Also if they did not install the intake correctly it could have leaked antifreeze into the oil. And yes enough antifreeze in the could wipe a bearing, antifreeze does not make a very good lubricant.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
jgrh64
Prestige member Old Farts Club

ALWAYS change the oil! there is always a chance of spilling antifreeze into the lifter valley, some coolent always remains somewhere in passages and oil is cheaper than a new motor
Old 03-20-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
cdowns

in 20 miles i doubt antifreeze in the oil would cause bearing failure unless it was all antifreeze and no oil overrevving while tryin to be a racer will tho
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:05 AM   #7
jerry moss
Born Psycho

we do lots of intakes at the shop i work in. we always change the oil and filter after re-installing the intake because some anti-freeze always leaks into the oil during dis-assembly. i've seen many cars and trucks come in with blown headgaskets and the oil will look like a milkshake but never had one come back with a bearing failure after the repair was finished. sounds like he was hot-dogging it a little too hard trying out the extra torque.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:06 AM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

If you are talking late model 5.7, which is known for blowing intake gaskets... then there could have been a leak internally. Not unheard of.
I have also noticed a trend, than after the intake leaks... esp if internally, we've seen a good number of them 6 months later needing an engine.
Any self respecting shop/mechanic would have drained that oil after 5 min of run time with the new intake gaskets. Too much crap can, and does get in the valley when doing a gasket job.. esp i they use the green disks for gasket removal, which GM specificly says not to do.
If there was coolant in the oil, and it is not from a blown head gasket, then they either didn't do the job right and it was leaking internally after the repair, or they never drained the oil after the job (which they admitted to already).
IMO, either way around it, with coolant in the oil, some one owes him a motor unless he was being stupid and raggin on it when it let go. (again... assuming the head gaskets/heads/block are not cracked)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:51 AM   #9
slammed1
1972 Chevrolet SWB

I can see if enough water got in the oil and since oil floats on water where would the water be in relation to the oil pump? You guessed it in the oil pump pickup area. I can see if enough water was pulled through the oil pump pickup and was forced through the oil passages before any oil was that bearing damage could occur but like others who knows for sure if its related or not.The oil floating on water is my theory for now.

Or it may well just be one of those pesky cracked 400's. Inside joke for prg machine LMAO!!

1972 Chevrolet 1/2 ton short wide bed,68 frt clip Project.
1980 Camaro Inherited when father passed,68K Miles
2003 Ford Mach1 FUN as Hell!!
2002 Dodge Ram 5-8 slam Rolling BillBoard (Gone not forgot)
2004 Dodge Ram HEMI 10" lifted on 37's and 2wd.
slammed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:59 AM   #10
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

If the engine is running, the oil won't be sitting on top of the water.
The oil/water will become an emulsion, hence the ugly, brownish, grayish, milkshake looking stuff on the dip stick.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:47 AM   #11
slammed1
1972 Chevrolet SWB

Thats true it mixes as engine is running,I was just adding to the theorys since no one really knows what happened.

1972 Chevrolet 1/2 ton short wide bed,68 frt clip Project.
1980 Camaro Inherited when father passed,68K Miles
2003 Ford Mach1 FUN as Hell!!
2002 Dodge Ram 5-8 slam Rolling BillBoard (Gone not forgot)
2004 Dodge Ram HEMI 10" lifted on 37's and 2wd.
slammed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:51 AM   #12
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

I was just tossin' in my .02.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:55 AM   #13
prg machine

Okay.................my friend is not a teenager. The gaskets were replaced on the stock manifold. could have been leaking previously?
Crane roller cam lifters and rockers ,1.6 intake ratio, Open chamber heads, 9.5-1 compression ratio, 2.02 intake valves , Edelbrock performer Air Gap manifold Carter AFB performer 750cfm, MSD ignition, SM465 NP205 4.10 gears:
prg machine is offline   Reply With Quote