The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
allen123
It'll buff out

no power steering or power brakes

is it that hard to drive because i dont know if i would have enough money to buy a conversion kit im not really that worried about the brakes mostly the power steering
please help thanks alot

My Build
Cody Allen
allen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Re: no power steering or power brakes

If it comes from the factory without power steering, or power brakes, driving isn't a problem.
Although, non-power assisted, 4 wheel drum brakes, for this era are notoriously under braked.

You just have to learn to put both feets on the brake pedal, pull back on the steering wheel & holler, "Whoa, Nellie. Whoa."
And allow a little extra stopping distance.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
allen123
It'll buff out

what do you mean by if it comes from the factory without and by non-power assisted sorry i dont know much about braking and steering components

My Build
Cody Allen
Old 03-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen123 View Post
what do you mean by if it comes from the factory without and by non-power assisted sorry i dont know much about braking and steering components
If it was manufactured with manual steering and non power brakes, then it's non-power assisted.

My '69 was like that, originally.
It was converted to power steering, at some point, but the brakes still suck, big time.

I've learned not to tail gate & allow tons of stopping distance.

Keep asking questions. That's how you learn.

As was once drummed into my head many DECADES ago, "The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked.

You'll find that the folks on this board have an enormous amount of knowledge & they're always willing to share.

So just ask, ask, ask.
You won't get any "put downs."

El Jay

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
Old 03-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
allen123
It'll buff out

ok thanks alot for the help
do you know any places that have a cheap conversion kit?

My Build
Cody Allen
Old 03-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Irishpilot

I have the same setup and the manual steering gives you a good arm workout in a parking lot, but once you get going it's not a problem. I think it's a nostalgic part of driving it. If you are really worried about it, you can always go to a junkyard to pull parts from wrecked trucks with power steering/power brakes.

So, to answer your question, if you find a truck that fits your price and you like it, then don't worry if it would be hard to drive. There was many a year when little old ladies would drive big boats of cars with no power steering...if they could do it, you sure can!
406ci sb; zero decked, bored .030, edelbrock aluminum e-tec heads, edelbrock performer RPM intake, comp 268 cam, comp 1.6 pro-magnum roller rockers, MSD street fire HEI, MSD 8.5mm wires, Holley Street demon 770, Hedman LT headers. 10.6:1 compression, Air Ride Tech bags on all 4-corners.
Irishpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
ok thanks alot for the help
do you know any places that have a cheap conversion kit?
Mine was done with a wrecking yard pump & power steering box & hoses.

I think they came off an early '70's van.

I'll look after daylight & see if there's any info on them.
But I make no promises.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
allen123
It'll buff out

Im going to feel really stupid if im way off but is it the same as a truck with a ps with the truck off in neutral? if my question makes any sense. Like me and my friend was pushing his truck while it was in neutral and shut off is it the same as that?

My Build
Cody Allen

Last edited by allen123; 03-23-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #9
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Im going to feel really stupid if im way off but is it the same as a truck with a ps with the truck off in neutral? if my question makes any sense. Like me and my friend was pushing his truck while it was in neutral and shut off is it the same as that?
I'm a little confused.
If you are trying to compare a manual steering vehicle to a power steering equipped vehicle with the engine not running; there is no comparison.

I'm not sure how to explain it.

Maybe somebody else will chime in here & help me!
That's a hint, guys.

The manual steering truck is meant to be driven, as it is driven.
Does it take a little more effort to steer it? Yes, certainly.
Is it unwieldy & difficult? No, not at all.

Power steering, without the "power" (engine off, or no belt) will build muscles on your muscles driving the thing.
Around town & on the freeway, not too bad. Slow speeds in parking lots can't suck enough.
Parallel parking is almost out of the question.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
berencam

my 130 lb fiance has/had no problem turning the wheel on my old truck(was manual steering, breaks ect.) she did have to kinda work at it when she was stopped but it wasnt a problem at all once you got going. If you are looking at a truck without power steering dont let that be a turn down, you get used to it, fast. Just make sure they didnt replace the steering wheel with a little 10" diameter gringo chain wheel and you'll be ok. also once you get the truck(if you do) check the tire pressure, and check the tie rod ends. the tie rod ends tend to get loose and makes more work for you when your driving. And if after all that your still not satisfied with manual steering, a new power steering pump, gearbox and all the other extras shouldn't run you more than 400 bucks at the high end.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
Trent_McAllister

The fact that it doesn't have power steering is not going to make it like a more modern vehicle hat has power steering that has failed. Power steering makes it a bit nicer to move it around and park it at slow speeds, but really on the highway speeds you won't notice much of a difference

The only benefit from power steering besides making it easier to turn the wheel is that it dampens some road shock. So if you are a guy that drives with a few fingers through the spokes of the wheel, and you were to happen to hit jarring bump, power steering might save you a broken finger. Of course, you really should be holding the wheel properly.

On the non power brakes: You will still stop fine although its going to be a greater distance. I can still pretty easily lock up all 4 propely adjusted brakes on my truck without brake boosters. The thing to keep in mind is even with brakes locked, these trucks don't really stop on a dime. In the wet, they just seem to slide long.

I drive a semi for a living and I actually INCREASE following distance over what I need in a semi when driving my pickup.

Most of the board members remember a time when all their vehicles dove like that. The only thing I have to tell you safety-wise is the general motoring public will NOT understand the distances you require, so it's going to take a litle more skill on your part to drive it safely, especially in town. They will not give you time to react, so you are going to have to make sure to keep a space cushion

You really houldn't have a problem, so go for it. If you want to help out the brakes, you buy a brake booster and get it setup. I believe you will need to modify or buy a new brake pedal. (The non-boosted brake is high from the floor and will cause you to lock up inadvertantly when you hit it) They sell the boosters in the parts catalogues like LMC or you can try to save a bit and get one from a board member. If you're not familiar with the braking system, the installation would be best left to a professional.

The steering should just reuire a hydraulic power steering pump and I believe a different steering box. That could be pretty pricey I would speculate, so you can drive it a while and decide if you need it

Trent_McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #12
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

If you are looking at one without power just take a test drive.It will take a few minutes to get used to so pick an open area without traffic.I doubt you will find it too difficult.And as long as the brakes are in good shape and properly adjusted they should be OK not great but OK.Like anything else you drive you should get used to it a bit before taking it in heavy traffic.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 03-23-2008 at 04:03 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #13
odog

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay View Post
I'm a little confused.
If you are trying to compare a manual steering vehicle to a power steering equipped vehicle with the engine not running; there is no comparison.

I'm not sure how to explain it.

Maybe somebody else will chime in here & help me!
That's a hint, guys.

The manual steering truck is meant to be driven, as it is driven.
Does it take a little more effort to steer it? Yes, certainly.
Is it unwieldy & difficult? No, not at all.

Power steering, without the "power" (engine off, or no belt) will build muscles on your muscles driving the thing.
Around town & on the freeway, not too bad. Slow speeds in parking lots can't suck enough.
Parallel parking is almost out of the question.

When I was in college and poorer than I am now, I had a 78 bronco. The power steering went out and I couldn't afford to get a new pump so I took the belt off and drove it that way for a year. I had Girls hanging all over me cause of my huge arms The piont I am gettig at is power steering gear boxes are made to have hydrauilic assistance so when the key is off the assistance from the pump is gone and you have to muscle it. Manual steering boxes are made so that you are the assistance so they are made somewhat user friendly. El Jay is right they are meant to be driven as is. If you want power steeing my advice is to make sure the frame excepts power steering, I know my 67 frame has to be modified for it. The find a setup in a wrecking yard.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #14
allen123
It'll buff out

I finally figured it out. you guys were a big help.
thanks alot

My Build
Cody Allen
Old 03-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #15
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by odog View Post
When I was in college and poorer than I am now, I had a 78 bronco. The power steering went out and I couldn't afford to get a new pump so I took the belt off and drove it that way for a year. I had Girls hanging all over me cause of my huge arms The piont I am gettig at is power steering gear boxes are made to have hydrauilic assistance so when the key is off the assistance from the pump is gone and you have to muscle it. Manual steering boxes are made so that you are the assistance so they are made somewhat user friendly. El Jay is right they are meant to be driven as is. If you want power steeing my advice is to make sure the frame excepts power steering, I know my 67 frame has to be modified for it. The find a setup in a wrecking yard.
The power steering bracket on my GMC is bent (figure that one out) so it tossed the power steering belt.
I've been driving that thing for over a year without power steering. I did put on a necker knob though.
Driving is just fine, parking lots suck.