The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
2manyprojects

I got a 49 chevy

Well this is my newest project. It's a 49 3100 I found on craigslist. It came complete with lots of rust and a 1978 inspection sticker. All the rust was free, so I couldnt pass it up lol. I have a 95 S10 extrended cab frame, a 9inch and a set of s10 drop spindles and 3inch drop rear springs. that should be enough to get me started. I have a 51 also, but I doubt there will be much I can use off of it.
Attached Images

2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
pugs

Re: I got a 49 chevy

looks like a cool project, how bad is the cab itself
Old 03-10-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
2manyprojects

It needs the complete floor, cab corners, and inner and outer cowl panels. basicly the bottom half. The top is in decent shape other than a couple spots on the back where the metal has started to pit. I'm going to get it striped to bare metal and see how bad it really is ,and go from there. If I run across a nice cab I'll get it. There are lots of these trucks still around here. If not I have a welder, and patch panels are cheap.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Nice find. I'm thinking that may be my next project too. I've been hunting for a S-10 on ebay. Quite a few on there that already have the V-8. But, from what I've read the right wheelbase S-10 is the standard cab / longbed. Am I confused, or are you planning on cutting and shortening the frame?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
2manyprojects

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Nice find. I'm thinking that may be my next project too. I've been hunting for a S-10 on ebay. Quite a few on there that already have the V-8. But, from what I've read the right wheelbase S-10 is the standard cab / longbed. Am I confused, or are you planning on cutting and shortening the frame?

Thanks, You can find junk S10's for $200.00 or less localy if you look for them. I got one for $30.00 one time and paid too much lol. I have a V8 S10 you can get the conversion mounts used. I got mine and the headers off of ebay for less than $100.00. It would probably be more inexepensive to do that than buy a S10 that already has the V8. I'm not even sure the V8 S10 mounts will move the engine back far enough.Does anyone know? I already had the frame left over from fixing my 95, so I'm going to use it . It's a 2 piece deal. Cut some welds trim a few inches off and slide it together for the right wheelbase. I'll probably put it on the alignment machine to get the axle centerline perfect, but it's not really necessary i'm just anal that way.
Attached Images

Last edited by 2manyprojects; 03-10-2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: I say cheap way to much. Yall are going to think I build all my rides with duct tape and JB weld
Old 03-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
Daniel U

Cool, keep us posted with pics!
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
build thread ->http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=228674
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
build thread->http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&goto=newpost
1960 (400/T350/?) Apache 10 short/fleet side-big window
1973 (TPI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10 w DANA 60 front) Chevrolet Cheyenne 4X4
2013 (Vortec 5.3/6-speed 6L90 automatic) Sierra LT CREW CAB
Doing my part to warm the globe
Daniel U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:34 AM   #7
2manyprojects

I havent realy done a lot with it, other than lots of measuring. I'm leaning towards mounting the body myself with no kit. Today I cleaned it out, and removed the custom interior. (1 BMW bucket seat mounted on a piece of plywood bolted to the originial seat frame covered in ugly couch or drape upholstry fabric) I removed the busted back glass and windshield. I found some big holes around the windshield frame. I'm not happy about. I might just look for another cab. The guy who's going to do the bodywork and paint, gets off on rust repair. I'll see what he says first. He does good work and will trade for a wrecked 69 Impala I have. I'm excited, I might get to drive something that I will actualy have to wax for once lol. I'm going to look at the 51 tomorrow hopefully it will be in better shape than it looks in the pic. I managed to tweek the plug for my camera. I'll post some pics of todays adventure when I get that straightened out.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:28 AM   #8
2manyprojects

I went yesterday and looked at the 51. It was slightly better than I expected but still only good for parts. I'll go drag it out of the woods sometime soon. I actualy looked at several trucks this weekend. I found another 49, I'll probably end up getting. It has a fairly solid cab. No windshield and it's still got original paint where mine is rusted out. My friend is a firefighter and kept hosing the truck off so it wouldnt burn during the fires a few weeks ago. It has burn marks about a foot away. He knew I was looking for parts trucks, thats a true friend right there lol. I also saw 2 sweet big trucks. my friends dad has a 53 GMC 2.5 ton no rust the engine is apart. He wont sell it though. Ive been asking for awhile haha. The best one is , a friend of theirs. Has a 51 chevy 1.5 ton. It's been parked in a tractor shed behind a wood pile since 77 when the ladys dad died. It's in unbelieveable condition other than being covered in about a inch literaly of dust, It looks brand new and is all original. I tried to take pics but it was so dark they didn't turn out. Heres some pics of the GMC and my truck from the other day.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2008, 12:32 AM   #9
2manyprojects

more pics
Attached Images