The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2002, 12:53 PM   #1
davidson2100

Post Door Panles?

I dyed my blue door panels with some spray on black dye and every time something rubs or scratches them the black comes of and blue shows. What can I use to permanetly make the panels black and look good?
davidson2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 01:21 PM   #2
kingparts

I have always use a dye caled SEM, you can get it from a auto paint supply. It has really worked well for me amd seems to soak in and look good instead of cover and flaking.
David www.kingparts.com
Old 05-21-2002, 01:55 PM   #3
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

David, I've been looking for the SEM dye in parchment (#625) for my 72 GMC but no one seems to carry this color anymore. Any thoughts?

------------------
72 Sierra Grande - "Maych"

If a man speaks in the middle of a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 02:07 PM   #4
davidson2100

Do you soak this, if so how? Do you prep it in any way?
davidson2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 02:12 PM   #5
kingparts

Johnny I will check. The way that I found that works best, clean the door panels with soap and water,put them in the sun to dry, lighlty spray them with the dye back into the sun, do it over until you are satisfied.
David www.kingparts.com
Old 05-21-2002, 02:23 PM   #6
kingparts

Johnny try www.autostyles.com/sem.htm
This might help.
David
Old 05-21-2002, 03:10 PM   #7
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

Thanks David, I've tried that site and probably every other site on the web but none list "parchment". I noticed several site have "phantom white". I wonder if this is the same or close to "parchment". When I bought my repro door panels they were listed in the catalog as "parchment", but the tag on the panels listed "phantom white".

I've also heard that paint shops can mix up custom colors of SEM dyes. Mayber I'll try that route.

------------------

If a man speaks in the middle of a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Old 05-21-2002, 03:36 PM   #8
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

Hey David - a business oportunity! Found an outfit on the web that will supply custom vinyl dye colors. The price is a little steep for one time users, but someone such as yourself might make a little profit suppling us little guys with hard to find colors. Here's what they say:

Quote:
Custom Packaging for the Individual Restorer
You supply us with the formula, color code or a sample of the color you want mixed. Samples will be returned with you paint order.
A one time fee of $ 30 will be charged to match your color - which will be kept on file for future orders.
Price is $ 59.95 plus charge for matching if required - 5 cans of paint plus 1 of primer
Inquire below for prices for Quarts and Gallons.
Call 404-767-3378 or e-mail tim@metromustang.com for more Information.
There web site is: http://www.metromustang.com/Paint/PaintInfo.html

------------------

Old 05-22-2002, 06:58 AM   #9
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Try Eastwood paint supply

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 08:21 AM   #10
Tim Rich

I believe parchment on the 72's may have been an aqua green color. My stepside was originally olive with parchment door panels. The door panels I believe are original and the backside is stamped parchment and its that early 70's light green. The front's been been painted black twice, once by the original owner when the truck went red, and once by me. They do scratch very easily - I've already got scratches on mine after less than a month.

I've toyed with the idea of buying replacement black panels, but with the talk of the sole manufacturer making them too small I'm just going to keep with the old ones. May try dying them - is there a paint stripper that's safe to use with these plastic panels?

Thanks,

------------------
Tim Rich
Kennesaw, GA
72 Stepside
65 Must@ng
65 Must@ng
Tim Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 08:34 AM   #11
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

hmm... parchment is definitely not a green color - it's more of an off-white. The trim on my truck is listed as parchment on the glove box, and there's is no green anywhere on my truck. That's curious your green panels would be stamped parchment. Yea, tried Eastman (and every other parts supplier I could find on the web) and none carry parchment.

------------------

Old 05-22-2002, 09:33 AM   #12
Tim Rich

JohnnyP, you're right - I think parchment is an off-white/tan, too. I'm just going by what I saw when I was working on my panels. The back of the panel had every color code (number and name) available. Then the actual color code is stamped on the back. I guess this way they could use the mold for any color. Mine is stamped parchment and the originally color is certainly light green/aqua. Maybe they're not original or have been dyed, or the marking's not right. Perhaps another manufacturing mystery.

Take Care,

------------------
Tim Rich
Kennesaw, GA
72 Stepside
65 Must@ng
65 Must@ng
Tim Rich is offline   Reply With Quote