The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
badassapache

New but no noob...

Hay guys..quick intro. Im Eric. live in southern VA. 41. been buildin cars, trucks and choppers for awhile now. I have a 15 y/o son who we just scored a SAWEET 78 c10 silverado for. 500 bones! 350/350, power everything tilt etc. I have never lowered a truck like this. I want to lower it but i dont want to have it adjustable or dropped to the ground. i want it dd. I been lookin around and like the stance of a 5/5 drop. Now, Im making my son foot the bill on this to teach him a little money lesson and also how to chase down parts and not necissarily buy a new kit for top dollar. Is there a way to do a drop other that buying new? I want something that will ride well. I hear negatives on cutting the springs. I am new to all these 2wd terms and how to's so go easy on me...

here it is and a few of my other projects iv done/working..

badassapache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
bedsled71

Re: New but no noob...

you can do a flip kit on the rear, (relocate the springs under the axle) and then on the front the best way would be to get some dropped spindles and springs.
bedsled71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Flip the rear (it gives 6" of drop), drop spindles up front and start by cutting the coils in the front 1/2 coil at a time. There's nothing wrong with cutting coils, just use a blade/ cutoff wheel and not a torch.

So you're having him lower it so he won't have a 4x4 to get stuck in a ditch somewhere? Not that a 15y/o would get stuck in a ditch in a 4x4 (I did!), but there's always mud. I will say your rigs don't look like they get stuck often.
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
pissonNOS

i had no problems with cut coils on mine i rode like that for almost 4 years, and good idea on making your kid pay for it thats what my dad did to me as well he helped me when i needed it but the vast majority was paid for by me, i hate when parents just foot the bill for there kids rides
Old 03-27-2008, 11:15 PM   #5
badassapache

thanks for the reply guys. so is the flip in the rear something you buy or fab up? and it would be 2"spindles and 3" drop springs? where can i see a write up on how to do it?
Old 03-28-2008, 12:02 AM   #6
Shane
Account Suspended

he'd learn a lot more valuable lesson by saving his money and then purchasing NEW parts engineered and designed for this type of application verses trying to make used, worn out and/or modified stock parts work.

just my .02 cents worth.

p.s. nice moder-sicle
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:59 AM   #7
slug

i will agree with shane on this one. i would make your son buy new parts, after all his safety is and should be your greatest concearn. i would not advise cutting the coils up front, i did mine and it rode like a crap. the cheapest thing would probably be to get coils and spindles for the front and a flip for the back.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:24 AM   #8
badassapache

I agree on the safety concerns but used doesn't always mean junk. i buy plenty used parts that arnt abused and work well. in the 4wd community parts swapping is common and builds friendships and camaraderie. I will also agree tha cutting springs dosnt seem the way I want to go. still looking for some write up/ article on how to do it. dont you guys do tech writeups and hows to to help your fellow customizers?
Old 03-28-2008, 04:05 AM   #9
Shane
Account Suspended

search button = more tech articles than you can read in one sitting
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
Pushrod226

A djm rear flip kit is pretty cheap and easy. I didn't need to notch the rear on mine but some say its needed some say its not. I guess it depends on what springs are out back.

3 inch drop spindles and 1 loop cut off the front coils while you've got it apart will get the tires tuckin up in the fenders up front and leave plenty suspension travel. I tried the half loop thing first and the coils just didn't want to sit correct. 15x7 or 15x6.5 chevy truck rallys and a 235/60 or 65 tire will be needed up front.

Make sure that exhaust is tucked up real good before you get started with the drop.

Maybe later a set of shackles and hangers if the rears not low enough.

After all thats done it'll teach him the value of gasoline.

Hey nice toys BTW, I'm diggin the Apache and the rigid. I'm willin to bet the yeller came down hard. I'd be drivin yeller daily just so I could run it off road if I felt like it.
Pushrod226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
badassapache

thaanks..funny her name is ol yeller and i drive her every day. thanks for thr advice guys. i read all night it seems..
Old 03-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

badassapache-The "best" method to lower the front is with spindles, and a lowering spring.

On the other hand, just so you have a clear understanding on the cutting springs issue, let me jump in here. It's not bad to cut coils for a mild drop, but you need to take care in how they are cut. I have used several methods over the years that include chop saw, tile blade in a circular saw, and even a hack saw once.

I have also used a torch but I submerged the spring in a 5 gallon bucket of water to keep the spring cool. I don't endorse this method, but I did it and the spring did not sag after several years of use.

The point is if you decide to cut the coil do not over heat it, and always cut in small amounts.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #13
badassapache

Well, in my reading and serching last night I think a 5/5 is a little extreme for him at the moment. This will be his first real driving experiance so i want to keep the drivability factor to a minimum. I at this point dont want to "tuck" the tires. I want to go with a more old school hot rodded look. I like the c10's on here where the top or the tire is about even with the fenderwell line. I want to stick with the stocker type rim or at least stay with a smaller rim dia so when he has to buy tires they wont break him. I am more into the flat paint, all one color,no chrome, red steelies no trim rings, wide whites. He also likes this look. As most builds/cars do, I'm sure eventually he will do something different with it. This direction with it will be economical for him and I.
I plan on buying new application specific parts, just maybe not from a store. For just about everything i build I try to do research on what I need and how to do it, then look for someone selling those parts. There are great deals to be had if you spend the time to look around. especially now. times are getting tough in this economy. I am not loaded so money is an issue. Thanks for all the replies! So i think I was looking at trucks with a 3/4. They sell a dmj(?) kit on egay for 350 or something.. are these the components that would be involved in a drop like that? i was under the impression it cost more to do it the right way.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #14
bedsled71

http://www.mcgaughys.com
Old 03-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #15
bedsled71

what you could do it get some 2 in. drop shackles and cut the front springs
Old 03-29-2008, 02:12 AM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

In your reserach, don't be tempted by the cheap prices that AIM/Chassis Tech/Baginit.com has to offer. I'll save you the reading time and let you know they are scamsters that will jerk you around every chance they get.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:22 AM   #17
SCOTI

2.5" drop spindles
Cut .5 to 1 coil (free) or go 2" drop spring
Rear flip kit w/shock extenders

Stock steel wheels for front @ 15x7" (painted)
Aftermarket wider matching steelies for rear @ 15x 8" or 10" (painted) or...

Front van ralleys @ 15x6.5"
Rear truck ralleys @ 15 x 8"
Stock center caps
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 03-29-2008 at 06:25 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote