The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2008, 03:27 AM   #1
hewlett2002000

high quality replacement speaker that fits in stock spot???

well this is a very long ways off but im making a list of what all im gonna do to my truck. i plan on having a decent audio setup in my truck. the doors were cut before i got the truck so im gonna go ahead and stick some speakers in. im moving my tank so 2 12" subs are going behind the seats. but is there a high end speaker that is sold anywhere that fits in the stock spot on the dash?
thanks,
John
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
hewlett2002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
Dadsredwagon

Re: high quality replacement speaker that fits in stock spot???

I ran across on this forum about using two 4 inch speaker for the stock location, maybe somebody else will chime in....
Dadsredwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
PA66C20

sweet ideas man, I'm planning on the same for mine actually. I'm moving the gas tank to under the bed (looking a little tough with the stepsides? ) Because I am going to put (2) 12" subs and the amp back there, plus when I bought the truck, I had (2) 6x9 speakers cut into the cab right behind the top of the seat on driver and passanger sides. I looked under my dash and I think I saw a 6x9 speaker up there, I'll try to get back in a few days with a pic and a real answer. I'm also putting a kenwood head unit in where the old radio was and I don't need a glove compartment so I'm placing a 12 disc cd changer in there, I hope!

Good luck to you and talk in a few days,
Shawn
Old 03-30-2008, 07:24 AM   #4
61hawk

I'm sure there may be a easier solution, but for front and rear speakers replacements in my '61 Studebaker Hawk I took a 1/4" piece of plexiglass, drilled the holes for the mounting studs, cut out two circles and mounted 3.5" name brand speakers in there.
61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
greg64

Here's what Classic Parts has: http://www.classicparts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=69-853

I can't vouch for the quality, but I like the idea of having something that fits the stock dash hole without cutting it up.
greg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
Chevyman680063

Can't you take the stock speakers out of that speaker mount that goes under the dash and put in some higher quality ones?
Chevyman680063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman680063 View Post
Can't you take the stock speakers out of that speaker mount that goes under the dash and put in some higher quality ones?
The stock speaker mount and speaker and one in the same. I recently modified a stock dash speaker chassis mount by cutting our the inside of it, leaving the perimeter portion of the frame, as well as the factory brackets. After removing the interior portion of the bracket, I inserted two GM Delco door speakers from a '93 Chevy that I owned and had been sitting on the shelf for several years.

I have a few pictures of it, but they are a different computer, so I will post them later. I also utilized the factory AM radio and radio/speaker harness. Although no one will ever see it and it will not be a high-end system, it is better than factory and will provide some good listening.

I have also sent a factory AM radio to a fellow that does the FM stereo conversion, along with RCA inputs for other devices, ie, iPod, CD changer, pre-amp, etc.

They also make some low profile units that slide under the factory bench seat, however if you still have the factory jack assembly and mounting brackets under the seat on the driver side, these will not mount properly.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:04 AM   #8
61hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRED66 View Post
I have also sent a factory AM radio to a fellow that does the FM stereo conversion, along with RCA inputs for other devices, ie, iPod, CD changer, pre-amp, etc.
Do you have this radio back yet? I'm considering doing the same thing and am wondering about cost and a recommendation of who to use.

Thanks.

Lee
Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61hawk View Post
Do you have this radio back yet? I'm considering doing the same thing and am wondering about cost and a recommendation of who to use.

Thanks.

Lee
Lee:

I have the radio back from getting the conversion done, however I have not installed it in my '66 Chevy K10 lwb fleet. It ran around three bills, but I had to have it. The conversion was done by a fellow named Jim and his number is 618-526-8492. I don't recall the name of his company, however he specializes in vintage radio conversions.

I am very happy with the work Jim did on this unit, while still being able to maintain the stock dash appearance. I hope this information is helpful and good luck with your conversion.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:42 AM   #10
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadsredwagon View Post
I ran across on this forum about using two 4 inch speaker for the stock location, maybe somebody else will chime in....
Here is a picture of the modification I did on a stock dash speaker chassis, to accept two small Delco Electronics door speakers. Not hifi by any means, but it will give me something to sing to.
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #11
hewlett2002000

Quote:
Here is a picture of the modification I did on a stock dash speaker chassis, to accept two small Delco Electronics door speakers. Not hifi by any means, but it will give me something to sing to.
that looks great man. ill probably do something like that. ive never had the stock speaker out so i guess i need to take it out and take a look. i have looked at it from under and all that and i had it playing and its not blown or anything. still sounds as good as new(which aint very good). thanks for the help guys.
John
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
hewlett2002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:37 PM   #12
LILRED66
Account Suspended

John:

If your factory dash speaker is working, I suggest using another factory speaker chassis that is shot, because I have seen these on eBay for $50.00 or more, if they function properly.

Also, here is a link to a dash replacement speaker from Classic Parts:

http://www.classicparts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=69-853

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:42 PM   #13
61hawk

Quote:
Lee:

I have the radio back from getting the conversion done, however I have not installed it in my '66 Chevy K10 lwb fleet. It ran around three bills, but I had to have it. The conversion was done by a fellow named Jim and his number is 618-526-8492. I don't recall the name of his company, however he specializes in vintage radio conversions.

I am very happy with the work Jim did on this unit, while still being able to maintain the stock dash appearance. I hope this information is helpful and good luck with your conversion.
Thanks, that's about what the going rate is from what I've seen online. I'm going to talk to a guy at AutoFair in Charlotte, NC on Friday... he usually shows up with his show trailer full of updated radios.