The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
Alvin
Never Done?

Question Sandblasting Axle Assembly?

I picked up the narrow axle assembly I've been wanting this past weekend. The weather is supposed to be beautiful this weekend and I'm thinking about sandblasting it. I just wanted to check with you guys to make sure I'm not gonna run into any problems.

The axle is fully assembled with brake drums still on it. After blasting I will be removing the drums, axles, and backing plates and installing new 5-lug axles, bearings, seals, and glock's camaro-caliper rear disc kit.

I figured just blasting it while it was still assembled was my safest bet. Am I right?

Thanks.

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
70rs/ss

Re: Sandblasting Axle Assembly?

I would wrap the snout end (pinion) just to be sure a little sand and that bearing will fail. I would diasseble it myself and have an empty housing, but that would require setting up the whole assembly afterwards, just be careful!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
Wreckless_71

I completely disassembled mine before I sandblasted, It was 10x's easier to clean out after I ws done with nothing to get in the way
Old 04-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
nu2-72

Same here. Total disassembly, blast and then a trip to the car wash. Then home to wipe it down with DX330 and blow gun all areas and paint. Then assembly with all NOS.
2006 Duramax Crew cab 4x4
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
2011 Harley Street Glide
nu2-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Which axle housing are we talking about here?
I wouldn't encourage anyone to "just dis-assemble" a 12 bolt. There is more to it than that. You wouldn't take the pistons/crank out to paint your engine would you?
HO52 with the removable 3rd member, sure why not? but don't take the gears out of that either.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

he'd be talking chevy 12 bolt.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #7
jlaird

I also completely disassembled mine for sandblasting but its not necessary. I would probably remove the drums and axles and make sure you seal up the pinion, vent, and housing good.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #8
Alvin
Never Done?

Well I just got done blasting the thing. Took about 2hrs. I left the drums on thinking they would do a good job keeping the bulk of the blasting media away from the ends of the axle tubes. Disassembly will come sometime in the next week, then paint, and reassembly. I'll have some pics up later tonight... I gotta go get some lunch!

Ethel has been sold.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
nu2-72

Longhair.
70rs/ss gave an excellent answer. We all know that a complete dis-assembly requires set up afterwards. This was stated.
Many members are very capable of doing this and I for one have rebuilt rearends for Corvettes for years in my garage. I also have no problem with 10 bolts, 12 bolts or any other.
My particular axle, Dana 44 front, had many years of use and wear. I felt it best to tear it down completely and replace the inner axle seals, bearings, sling plates and so on. Everything was reinstalled to spec. and all NOS parts all the way to the big blue locking hubs.
The rear end will recieve the same treatment.
And I did totally tear down the engine to paint it. Blasted it, deburred the block, opened up the oil valleys, added a windage tray and lifter baffle, ported the heads and matched the gaskets to the heads and intake and ported it. switched to 2 1/2" exhaust Corvette manifolds and expect it to run very nicely. And look good.
Alvin, you are right. You will find that the media will manage to get into every crack. Heavily protect the rubber, close the vent and do not direct shoot and you will do yourself a favor. I still prefer tear down though.
Good luck.
2011 Harley Street Glide
Old 04-06-2008, 11:10 PM   #10
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
We all know that a complete dis-assembly requires set up afterwards. This was stated.
There are over 40K members here....care to guess how many of them would feel confident enough to try it? and how many of them would succeed?

We don't "all" know that........This is a public forum and there are far more people out there reading this than the original poster. That is part of posting like this....others can take the same advice because they either stumbled across the post or found it by deliberately searching for it. "Generally and "usually" go with a lot of my posts for this very reason, especially since we are "diagnosing and advising" sight unseen.
Plus there is always someone out there that will point out the small percentage of times when something specific in an exception to the norm.

I was not criticizing 70rs/ss' answer, it was indeed accurate, just IMHO not complete enough for most guys.

Quote:
And I did totally tear down the engine to paint it. Blasted it, deburred the block, opened up the oil valleys, added a windage tray and lifter baffle, ported the heads and matched the gaskets to the heads and intake and ported it. switched to 2 1/2" exhaust Corvette manifolds and expect it to run very nicely.
That is far more than a tear-down for paint. Point being, if all you are looking to do is "clean & paint" disassembly is pretty over-board....even if you can put it back together yourself.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:52 PM   #11
Alvin
Never Done?

Well we went ahead an pulled the axles and cover today. Looks like I'll be learning an awful lot about rebuilding an axle in the next couple weeks! Out of the three axles I have, this one is the most worn inside. I figure if I'm gonna take the time to rebuild it, might as well put in new gears and a posi! No sense in coming back and doing it again.

Ethel has been sold.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:26 AM   #12
nu2-72

Disclaimer; if you don't know what you are doing, don't do it. We are professionals on a closed course. LOL

Ease up. If a person cannot give an answer without considering the other 40k people, then no one would give answers. (opinions)

Always proceed with caution and use the factory books whenever possible. They are cheap for the amout of information given.
2011 Harley Street Glide