The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2008, 06:19 AM   #1
chevyrestoguy

Factory rear swaybar

I was junkyardin today, and found a 1976 Silverado 1-Ton with a factory rear swaybar. It's definately factory, as it's got the cast-iron brackets that connect the bar to the rear axle u-bolts. My question is, can this set-up be used on my '73 half-ton with the 12-bolt rear? I figured that it should because the spacing of the leaf springs is the same between both trucks.

I've never seen one until today. Then again, I don't have much need for anything under the rear of the 1-Ton trucks, so I never look.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
72C203503ONTHETREE

Re: Factory rear swaybar

The one ton uses the 14 bolt 10.5 inche rear, I think the axle tubes are thicker than the 12 bolt tubes so those brackets would be the wrong size.

09 Challanger RT six speed in all black.

74 Datsun 710 wagon, all 1.8 liters of screaming Datsun power.

73 C10 long bed, 350/350 combo, nice shape.
72C203503ONTHETREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
chevyrestoguy

Didn't think about that. Makes perfect sense about the difference in axle tube diameter between the 12 bolt and the 14 bolt.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:27 AM   #4
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Even if you can make it fit, you have to be careful about randomly sticking a sway bar on the rear of anything.
They are designed to work as a set. When you add a rear 'bar to a vehicle that is already equipped with one on the front, you have to up-grade the front one too.An un-matched pair w/ too much rear, will cause a "push" (understeer)
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
454HO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Even if you can make it fit, you have to be careful about randomly sticking a sway bar on the rear of anything.
They are designed to work as a set. When you add a rear 'bar to a vehicle that is already equipped with one on the front, you have to up-grade the front one too.An un-matched pair w/ too much rear, will cause a "push" (understeer)
Actually, too stiff in front is understeer. Too stiff in the back is oversteer. Overall 'stiffness' is a combination of the springs and the sway bar. Shocks can play into it as well, but they mainly control damping (compliance).

Most vehicles are set up with understeer from the factory because it is safer for the average driver. Understeer makes the vehicle feel like it wants to keep going straight even though you have the wheel turned. This tends to cause you to lift off the throttle and slow down in the turns. Oversteer on the otherhand is when the rear breaks loose and tries to come around.

When adding a rear anti-sway bar, in addition to inducing oversteer, what I would be (am since I just put an aftermarket rear bar on my truck) worried about is whether the inside rear wheel lifts off the pavement on a hard turn. If that happens, it means you are actually losing traction. And if you have an open differential, it's doubly bad.

If you do grab the rear bar from the 1-ton, grab the front bar (and U brackets) too. It should be the same 1-1/4" bar I put on my truck. I used new Moog bushings when I mounted mine, they are polyurethane which is stiffer than the stock rubber ones. The rear bar I have is from Belltech and it is 1-1/8". It also has polyurethane bushings.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:35 AM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

454HO, is right. I had it backward. Either way though, you have to be careful about pick-up truck handling. Higher horsepower V8s, rear wheel drive and light weight rear ends make for "snap over-steer"
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
86 GMG

WOW thanks for the education i am planing to do this very thing aswell once i can start on the truck again. is there any other info we should know other than what 454ho said are the 1 ton 1.1/4 bars better or worse for 1/2 ton truck will they make it to stiff?