The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
B52fizzle

74 suburban rust

hey guys, need to know how hard(expensive) this is gonna be to fix. Its my 1974 cheyenne10 suburban with 454. this is the main rust the rest of the body is pretty clean, all left to fix is the brakes and adjust the doors so they will shut easy (anybody know how to to this to?) This is my baby bought her when i was 16 to drive to school been neglecting her, its time to fix her up here are pics all rust is just the roof seam, and the spare wheel well in the back.

B52fizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:30 AM   #2
1974k5blazer
Account Suspended

Re: 74 suburban rust

not bad at all look on www.lmctruck.com for patchpanels, your front floor boards are interchangeable with pickups too!
1974k5blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:14 AM   #3
qksilver

remember rust starts from the inside out. So what you see is only part of what you will find. You need to cut all rust out so it doesn't come back.
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
GMBowtie79
Surviving, one day at a time!

Rust in all the common areas for burbs they are known to rust in all the roof seams. Mine has some in the same places and it's a Ca vehicle that spent most of it's life in the central valley(no snow, no salty coastal air, and not alot of rain). LMC dosn't show those pieces in there catalog so I don't think you'll have much luck there. depending on how much you want to put into it (time or money)there are a couple ways that I know of to do it. Option 1) remove as much as you can with sandpaper & a wire wheel use a Brush on rust Killer and body filler(this is not the best way)the rust will eventually come back. The other is Option 2) this one requires alot more work or money! Find a Burb at a wrecking yard that dosn't have rust in the seams or door corners and either buy the shell for a donor or just get the whole roof from the bottom of the windows up and use it to cut patch panals out of. Option 3)this one cost's the most! Take it to a body shop and have them do the (option 2)work to it but make sure they replace the metal with metal patch panals. Most will try to just use body filler and still charge you alot for the repair. what you choose to do will depend on your body work abilitys or money your willing to spend.

Last edited by GMBowtie79; 04-15-2008 at 09:23 AM.
GMBowtie79 is offline   Reply With Quote