The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2003, 07:02 PM   #1
68shorty

Smile a scince guestion

HEY I have question what do you think of fords its for my scince fare. My topic is what is more reliable chevy or ford of course it will be chevy. But my scince teacher wonts me to provit to him so i am gowing to take the ifrmashon you gis give me and my other imformashon and put them to gever and prov it to him.

thanck you Ben

Last edited by 68shorty; 01-23-2003 at 07:05 PM.
68shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 07:36 PM   #2
Blue68

What grade are you in? What is the scientific premise you are working towards? Just looking for data to substantiate a hypothesis?

I'd think about taking a poll. Granted this is not the most reliable bunch to be asking the question of.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 08:04 PM   #3
Gordo

Smile

Wrenching my way from the 60's on up I've seemed to find it always takes me a little longer to repair F**ds than it does a GM product. It seems to me there were always more brackets, bolts, switches. solenoids and crap in the way even doing a simple water pump job. For a while Ford hung every possible accessory off of the water pump bolts. Another example, aligning a torque converter to the flex plate when doing an engine or trans install always took a little longer with F**ds than GM. That's my $.02.
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 08:18 PM   #4
jostrans68
Jostrans68

Ben is Wes's son a very bright young man who will soon have a truck of his own going. Ben check the web and see if you can find any stats on how many old chevys still around as compared to Fords. have fun and good Luck Jack
Old 01-23-2003, 09:55 PM   #5
Jesse 67 c-10

Hehehe, sounds like an interesting project, could be hard though, or you might get lucky and have a science teacher like I had in high school, he Hated fords! when teaching us about corrosion, the actual name of the topic was "why fords rust" it was great!
I'd say run a poll on here, it'll be biased but it looks good in a report! official stats show you did reaserch, Good luck!
Jesse

1993 Dihatsu Hijet Jumbo cab 4x4, currently converting to battery electric power.
Jesse 67 c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 11:11 PM   #6
Eddie H.

That sounds like an interesting project, Ben.

I've been a Ford Dealership mechanic for the past 15 years or so.
Personally, I think they're junk. I've determined that you can't actually fix one of em, the best that you can do is try and prolong the interval between failures. Since I own 3 GMC's, a Chrysler and a Nissan, people ask me why I work at a Ford dealership. My standard reply is that a succesful doctor needs to be where the sickest patients are.

One way to prove your theory is to research the number of recalls on Fords compared to other makes. After all, we all know that Ford stands for FACTORY ORDERED RECALLS DAILY
Old 01-23-2003, 11:29 PM   #7
Crank

Eddie. You've got a very well pointed out point about the doctor! I never really looked at it like that before. But still working on furds has gotta be the pits day in day out! Good thing you got something from the general. And Shorty: I'd be glad to help you with that little project with the teacher.
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 11:35 PM   #8
DanoDMano
Pronounced "Pew-al-up"

Too funny Eddie!!!

I work in an environment full of powerstrokers, and your post will be really good AMMO!!!!!!

1970 FS chevy,350/350, Edelbrock cam and intake. Holley 650 carb,HEI,AT,Tangier Orange, 18's,
Power Locks,

Truck Photos
DanoDMano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 03:32 AM   #9
TERRYP
GYRO GEARLOOSE

Think you better spend some more time in spelling and grammar class before you tackle 'scince'.
66 C-10 Panel, SWB. 350 from '68, 200R4 tranny, 3.07 rear ratio, restoring
68 C10 LWB 350 4spd, 4.56 rear dump runner
82 Camaro, 305, THM-200-R4
84 Monte Carlo 305 TH350, land tuna
85 Tercel SW, snow runner

DISGRACED OUTLAW MEMBER OF THE DRUM BRAKE CLUB
TERRYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 09:15 AM   #10
Woody

TRy looking up old Consumer Report Magazines for the reliability data on used cars. They have rated used cars for several years now so if you can find a source of old mags. or the data online somewhere that would be a good place to start. Also look at the the Repair labor books, these tell how much time is needed to do a repair (such as a waterpump) and compare time needed. Also you might note how easy you can swap parts on a chevy vs ford. Such as Engines, trannies, rear ends, ect. I know that with Fords most of the bellhousing bolt patterns were different between engine sizes. Makes for a nightmare trying to swap things around.
Good Luck !!
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:53 AM   #11
68shorty

woody

woody we tried that but you have to sine up for it.

Ben
Old 01-27-2003, 04:30 PM   #12
XXL
Seņor Member

Re: a scince guestion

Quote:
Originally posted by 68shorty
HEY I have question what do you think of fords its for my scince fare. My topic is what is more reliable chevy or ford of course it will be chevy. But my scince teacher wonts me to provit to him so i am gowing to take the ifrmashon you gis give me and my other imformashon and put them to gever and prov it to him.

thanck you Ben
JD Power has done all the work for you. Now all you need is some loot to buy the reports.

BTW, you probably want to frame your premise with a little less bias. You'll need to define reliability (is it total cost of ownership, down-time, raw number of repairs, mean time between repairs, and so on). Then, state your expected results. If your results don't come out like you thought/wanted, too bad. Don't try to skew the data or change your hypothesis. It's about proving OR disproving the hypothesis... not whether you guessed right in the first place. I judge a number of science fairs and can tell you from experience that there is NO value in having guessed correctly beforehand. The value is in collecting your data, analyzing it, and presenting your findings.

Good luck,

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 06:02 PM   #13
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I have driven & repaired both Fords & Chevys....but dont tell any of these guys that i owned a Ford! The Chevys will alway be my favorite, but I have seen both be very dependable. Now when it come to repairs, I feel that the Chevys are far easier to work on , & parts will interchange from many different yrs. The Fords, as a couple guys have allready mentioned, have several different eng families & even swapping trannies can get pretty hairy if you dont know what fit what. Even the pulleys & brackets on the front of the eng changed from yr to yr on the fords, where the Chevys rans several yrs on the same stuff(easy swap). High perf parts for the fords were alway more costly, because of all the different eng families.....take a intake manifold for instance, the same aftermarket part that bolted to a 283 would fit a 400smallblock Chevy. You cant say that for the Fords.......more tooling, & you have higher costs. all in all, IMHO , I cant really say that one is more reliable than the other , But the cost of repairs, hp parts, time on repairs, ect. is for sure higher on the Fords......maybe thats why my 89 Ford ranger is runnin a sb Chev! Good luck man.....crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote