The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2008, 04:35 AM   #1
xchevyxtc

rear hatch cover help!!!

I had my fiberglass guy fix my top and rear hatch and he ended up fiberglassing the hinge area completely closed for strength. unfortunately i have no idea where the holes should be for the hinges to pass through on the face of the liftgate. Could a member of the board be so kind as to give me a measurement of there holes in there single wall top? I would greatly appreciate it. thanks guys!!!
xchevyxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Mint68

Re: rear hatch cover help!!!

I have one burried in my basement. If no one else has posted by tomorrow night I will dig it out and measure for you.
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
xchevyxtc

thanks for your help!! this board has been a great source of info for the past few years with my build up of my Blazer. so thanks again!!
Old 04-17-2008, 02:53 AM   #4
Mint68

Here is what I got, I tried taking pics but they wouldn't clear up.

I found a center point of the hatch. The total bottom with of my hatch was 66.25 in. I ran that mark up the hatch with a square, make sure you are directly in the center of the hatch!!!

The top edge of the hatch is cut out for the hinge. It is cut 13 11/16 in from the center mark. The cut is 2 5/8 in wide, and 3/4 in down. The 3/4 in down is just for the first layer (front layer) of fiber glass, the second layer (back layer) is only cut 1/2 in leaving a 1/4 in lip.

The hole is cut 1/2 in below the cut out. It is the same width 2 5/8in and is 3/4 in down.

Hope it makes sence, I'll try for pics later. If you need clarification, just ask.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:16 AM   #5
Mint68

I forgot to add, before you cut just pencil it on to the hatch then put the hatch up to the top to make sure it is in line with the hinges.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 AM   #6
xchevyxtc

thanks so much!! i really appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me. I am attempting to cut the holes tomorrow so wish me luck. I will let you know how it goes! Again thanks to you and everyone on this board for the wealth of knowledge!