The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
6RoyBoy1

Need Some Advice....

I Have A 1973 Chevrolet Truck & My Gas Tank (Hose) Is Leaking. So I Need To Replace The Gas Hose And Noticed That The Hose Is On Top Of It? (The Gas Tank.) Do I Have To Drop The Tank To Get To The Hose And If So, How Do I Go About It W/Out Messing Everything Up? Thanks In Advance 4 Your Help.
6RoyBoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Re: Need Some Advice....

pull the bed, it's easier imo
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
tyjoja

the beds not too hard to take off. 8 bolts unplug the light harness under and above the license plate and unscrew 3 screws at the tank filler flange. a guy on each corner and lift it up and walk it off. good luck bob
tyjoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6RoyBoy1 View Post
I Have A 1973 Chevrolet Truck & My Gas Tank (Hose) Is Leaking. So I Need To Replace The Gas Hose And Noticed That The Hose Is On Top Of It? (The Gas Tank.) Do I Have To Drop The Tank To Get To The Hose And If So, How Do I Go About It W/Out Messing Everything Up? Thanks In Advance 4 Your Help.
Thats the way i wish i had been able to do mine, but since i didnt have an extra 3 bodys at my disposal i pulled 7 of the 8 bracket bolts, (leaving the rear top bolt in place but slightly loose) and pivoted the tank down in the front. Since i have small forearms i was able to reach up under it and and make my repairs fairly simply. but its time consuming doing it this way and there is a good chance of coming out with some scratches... o and dont forget to undo the filler hose still. GL!

Im not to worried i have an uncaning ability to save myself from some weeeiiirrd crap
East Ok meet East Ok date

Tony
wicked_sky_gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
6RoyBoy1

Thanks for the advice, sounds like pulling the bed might be the easiest. I Appreciate everyones comments and suggestions
6RoyBoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:08 AM   #6
olivedrab

no pulling the bed is not easier unless you have an easy way of pulling the bed off and moving it around...ive had to drop my tank a few times due to damage from wheelin and its really not that bad. just try and burn all the gas in it first so its not so heavy

87 chevy-350 tbi-4x4-swb-4" lift-37inch claws
72 gmc- 350 carb- 2wd-lwb, soon to be 4x4?

Last edited by olivedrab; 04-21-2008 at 02:09 AM. Reason: left stuff out
olivedrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:19 AM   #7
Kixwy2

Put a jack under the tank with a 3/4 inch piece of plywood for the tank to rest on... jack it up, then loosen the bracket bolts. Then you can lower the tank without dropping it on you or have it torque the bracket all to hell.

If you're a one person operation this works amazingly well. ...Which reminds me - I have to do this again soon to fix the fuel gauge.