The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2008, 02:47 AM   #1
acl

Question put me out of my misery

I know i have asked before and read lots of forums but still can not get the #@*! temp gauge to work. It will not move from far cold at all. I have grounded the wire to everything and it peg the gauge hot i have changed sending unit 3 times I have ask for and hopefully gotten gauge not light senders. I don't know squat about olhms and volts. Have a tester no smarts to use it. I do not have a ground cable from block to frame anymore but touching sending wire to block peg the meter so i think its got ground. will putting teflon tape on sending unit matter? i'm am lost and willing to trade house and kids for a right answer, just kidding i will keep the house. thanks to those who attempt to save my sanity, whatever is left. is the gauge good if it goes hot when grounded. maybe i am assumnig too much
gary
acl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:58 AM   #2
slomotion
Old Duffer

Re: put me out of my misery

If you have tape on the threads, take it off and try again. Your sending unit needs a good ground to work properly, and the tape may be insulating the sending unit.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:40 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

slomotion is right.
If you remove the sending unit and look at the threads, they should be tapered. The tip is smaller, and it gets larger as you thread it in. This is designed to not need thread tape, and as he said, the tape (esp if you wrapped it in 3 or 4 layers) can hinder the ground it needs to work correctly.
you are right in the assumption that your guage and wire are in proper working condition since it pegs upon grounding.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
acl

more info- had p.m. jimKshortstep4x4 (thanks Jim) and he thinks it might have to do with late 70's block with 68 gauge set -up. Does this matter and what do I do. The senders are different size and i don"t think a 68 (no 350 in 68??) will fit in the block any back-up to jims help. thanks to all Gary
Old 04-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
WorkinLonghorn

Just take off the tape!
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, stereo speakers, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
DREAMS OF A 67
Step Brother

do you have a good themostat ?
DREAMS OF A 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by acl View Post
...Have a tester no smarts to use it
Ok, since you mentioned you have no smarts to use your meter, here's a meter reading primer - I'll be using mine to explain. Hopefully it will be similar enough for you to use your meter.

Name:  100_1452.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  32.3 KB

Ok, on my meter the left side is "Ohms" or resistance. You can use this side to test grounds or resistance (In the simplest terms, a resistor is what is used to create current when a Voltage runs across it) levels. There are varying dial settings on mine from 2 MEGAOhms resistance all the way down to 200 Ohms. If you're measuring resistance and if it's a digital one like this one, you should start with the highest setting and switch until settings until you get a reading. For example, if I have something that reads 150 Ohms, starting at the Highest setting-if I don't get a reading, I'd go to the next setting on the dial, etc. until I see a number on the display (this should still work with the old analog style meters, the difference being as you dialed down the levels, you'd see the needle jump higher).

There's one more setting which you may find more useful than even the resistance function. On the last setting, you can see a little icon that looks like a speaker. This setting is called "continuity". When you test two ends of a wire, you'll hear a beep. This lets you know that the wire is unbroken from one end to another. This setting is also great for, you guessed it-testing whether the wire is grounded properly.

Name:  100_1453.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  28.2 KB

Now, when you're measuring resistance, you may need to switch the terminals to the right holes. In my meter, when I want to measure resistance, I have to put the black terminal in the middle or "COM" and the red on to the left. When I want to measure voltage, I have to move the red terminal to the right where the "V" is.

Name:  100_1458.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  25.3 KB

This is the back of my temp gauge. The top and bottom terminals are ground, and the right one (if you are facing the back of the gauge, like the picture) is the "ground". all you have to do, since the gauge has two terminals is setup your meter like mine on the continuity setting, put one lead on either the top or bottom terminal and then touch the right terminal with the other lead. If it doesn't beep, try doing the same with the left terminal. If neither beeps, you know your gauge somewhere isn't grounded to the chassis. If it does beep on one side, you'll know at least the ground is working.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by elektrik; 04-21-2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: wrong quote
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
acl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREAMS OF A 67 View Post
do you have a good themostat ?
yes good thermostat thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Just take off the tape!
Yeah^^^^ the tape is insulating the sender from ground. You can test this as simply as touching a wire from the sender body to ground, with the engine warm of course and key on too.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #10
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

I wouldn't have guessed the tape.....it makes sense. Will Teflon paste work? (That's what I would have used.)
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
I know i have asked before and read lots of forums but still can not get the #@*! temp gauge to work. It will not move from far cold at all. I have grounded the wire to everything and it peg the gauge hot i have changed sending unit 3 times I have ask for and hopefully gotten gauge not light senders. I don't know squat about olhms and volts. Have a tester no smarts to use it. I do not have a ground cable from block to frame anymore but touching sending wire to block peg the meter so i think its got ground. will putting teflon tape on sending unit matter? i'm am lost and willing to trade house and kids for a right answer, just kidding i will keep the house. thanks to those who attempt to save my sanity, whatever is left. is the gauge good if it goes hot when grounded. maybe i am assumnig too much
gary
Maybe the lack of ground to the cab would cause it to not work? There are two braided ground cables from the block to the firewall. The motor is setting on rubber blocks (no ground) the cab is setting on rubber pads (no ground). There will be a small trace of continuity through the metal fuel lines etc. But not enough to operate things. Does your radio work? Is it grounded to the cab?
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
LONGHAIR

Sport/Truck,
While I agree with you that it really should have a ground cable driectly from the frame to the engine....you stopped "highlighting" a few words too quickly.
Quote:
touching sending wire to block peg the meter so i think its got ground.
If the sender wire from the guage pegs the meter when touched to the engine, it has ground, at least enough for the guage to work. Since he didn't say that the truck doesn't start or run, it must be getting good enough ground somehow.

Quote:
I wouldn't have guessed the tape.....it makes sense. Will Teflon paste work? (That's what I would have used.)
It might, but you are still taking a chance. Tapered threads, especially with soft brass fittings, should seal just by tightening.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 04-21-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:37 PM   #13
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

^
^^

I think it starts because the neg goes directly to the block and not the frame.
Grounds can be funny because of resistance issues (rust, loose connections etc) causing poor grounds.
I did read the rest of that statement but still thought it was worth noting.
It would be a easy test to just run a ground from the block to the firewall.
s/t
Old 04-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #14
acl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Sport/Truck,
While I agree with you that it really should have a ground cable driectly from the frame to the engine....you stopped "highlighting" a few words too quickly.
If the sender wire from the guage pegs the meter when touched to the engine, it has ground, at least enough for the guage to work. Since he didn't say that the truck doesn't start or run, it must be getting good enough ground somehow.

It might, but you are still taking a chance. Tapered threads, especially with soft brass fittings, should seal just by tightening.
should i put the ground from block to cab or block to frame or both????
Old 04-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #15
LONGHAIR

Both never hurts, your ground can't be "too good".
Old 04-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #16
byrd
Union Electrician

most gauges that read low at operating temps have a weak resistor on the back, the wire mesh or porcelian piece between the two center studs. You should change that out and it will most likely fix your issue. FWIW most of the temp gauges only move to about an 1/8" past the begining off the solid line across the face of the gauge, when at operating temps. If you have an 165 deg T-stat that would also make it read low.
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #17
acl

going out to put all this good advice to good use i hope. any comment on the different years for sender (Late 70's) and gauge 1968?? should work???
thanks to all and will let you know the outcome maybe it can help someone else.
Gary
Old 04-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #18
byrd
Union Electrician

Quote:
more info- had p.m. jimKshortstep4x4 (thanks Jim) and he thinks it might have to do with late 70's block with 68 gauge set -up. Does this matter and what do I do. The senders are different size and i don"t think a 68 (no 350 in 68??) will fit in the block any back-up to jims help. thanks to all Gary
Sending units and gauges were the same 1967-72, 69-72 the 350 was availible then, you can still get the correct sending unit from GM, or one of the board venders.
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #19
70c10
67-72 Addict!

I'm glad I saw this thread. I didn't realize teflon could affect the temp gauge!. I think I used it but mine reads normal on my aftermarket gauge. Good luck acl

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote