The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
72armyswbtruck

NOS Door Handle ?????

Ok,
I just wanted to know from those who have purchased NOS door handles (interior) if they had a part number stamped on the underside of the handle. I just got a pair and they didn't have the GM part numbers stamped on them like all the others that I have seen. Can someone post pics of NOS in the box door handles (interior) please.
Thanks
Army
Old 02-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: NOS Door Handle ?????

They would have a part# if they were GM parts.I worry about guys putting repop parts in GM boxes.I really don`t understand why they would be so desperate.But,that ain`t me.
A guy could buy a packaged N.O.S. part,remove from package,sell part for same money(prolly try for more),and put a repop part in the GM package and offer for sale as N.O.S.Pretty convincing to anyone,especially on Ebay.You gotta ask for pics with the p/n.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

That happened to me. Someone on ebay was selling an NOS shift knob. The picture showed the knob and a GM box. When I got the part it looked like a repop and no box. I asked the guy to ship me the box, but he never replied. Needless to say I left negitive feedback, saying he was selling repop as NOS.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
TotalChevy1

This may be a stupid question, what is the big deal about nos parts. I'm redoing my interior and I ordered handles that were not nos and the look like the factor, except for the chrome pitting. Are certain parts better quality or a better match.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

There isn't anything wrong with it. The purist want NOS because they show there truck or want to brag on it. If they show it for national attention fine it's what they have to have to win.
I could care less as long as the part looks right and functions correctly. Stock trucks are fine to look at but I wouldn't want one to drive back and forth to work everyday. I put about 30,000 -40,000 miles a year on mine easy driving it everyday. I know the mileage has flipped over twice since I have had it.
It's mine and I do as I wish with it. I enjoy it, as do the ones who want NOS parts it's the enjoyment of the hunt I think they enjoy more than anything!!!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
bestchevyfan

That Sounds Like Something From Across The Water To Me.later,buddy
bestchevyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
72highlander
Sophomore Member

i sold these to him, and he had pm'd me and asked. i honestly never looked at them. they came from gmpartsdirect.com. you can't actually talk to a person there, so i emailed them and asked them what's up. we'll see. their shipping and handling is outrageous as well. i won't use them again. i'll keep it updated so you guys will know, and make it right to you army no matter what.

these trucks don't need vacuum gauges cause they don't suck!
two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left
all i want is a little more than i'll ever get
it's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6

Last edited by 72highlander; 02-27-2008 at 10:28 PM.
72highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:44 AM   #8
72armyswbtruck

Just so everyone knows, 72Highlander, aka Frank is an upstanding member,
I purchased a bunch of nos parts from him and these door handles were with them, I am not a NOS freak but since the parts were available I figured hey why not bundle them with the rest of his NOS Parts. When I opened up the GM packages the door handles didn't have parts numbers on them which is why I started this thread. I was just curious. When I first recieved the parts I sent Frank a PM and he said to post the question here, He is an upright and honest member and so this is why the thread was started.
Michael
AKA
Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72highlander View Post
i sold these to him, and he had pm'd me and asked. i honestly never looked at them. they came from gmpartsdirect.com. you can't actually talk to a person there, so i emailed them and asked them what's up. we'll see. their shipping and handling is outrageous as well. i won't use them again. i'll keep it updated so you guys will know, and make it right to you army no matter what.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:01 AM   #9
stope4

Part numbers would be on the handles if NOS (New Old Stock). This could be NNS. (New New Stock) Just made that up but I think it is appropriate. NOS to me means it is vintage parts from the era that were was never sold or never used. In the day of our trucks, GM didn't sell many parts without parts numbers on them, especially cast parts.

I would say for the most part, the NOS stuff works just about all the time. Aftermarket stuff works some of the time. As for door handles, if they are shaped the same as the old ones you have, it's probably o.k. If they don't then you have a decision. I would think parts like the door mechanism is more important as NOS than the door handle unless the aftermarket latch doesn't look the same.
stope4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:12 AM   #10
class01

the aftermarket doorhandles are junk. my window handle broke on my yesterday and that was the one i took off the passenger side cause it broke. I would like some NOS handles. You should be able to tell a GM part from repop by how heavy and solid it is.
class01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:20 AM   #11
sameyrasmea72

I like NOS stuff too, but on the door handles, the must be at least two different aftermarket versions because I have been told by many people including the Cheyenne Super man that the repos are far better than the GM ones, expecially the chrome.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:52 AM   #12
class01

I dont know^ the ones i have the window cranks break so easily.but the door latch handles are strong... I gotta get some used originals till i can find a good alternative
class01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:16 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

N.O.S. parts are factory surplus parts available from GM.The same parts that came on the truck.Not a replacement part.Frank/72 Highlander made an honest mistake,I`m sure.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-28-2008, 08:11 AM   #14
72armyswbtruck

They came from GM Parts Direct and they sell them as NOS parts not repo parts, so that is why there was some confusion. No biggy, Frank is an upstanding member and before this post had already offered to refund the difference between NOS and replacement ones
Old 02-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #15
72highlander
Sophomore Member

first and foremost, army has been very cordial about all this and i want to personally thanks him. i emailed gmpartsdirect and this is all i've gotten so far:

frank winn,

Thank you for your customer service request. Due to the overwhelming
volume of incoming requests there may be a delay on our response time.
Thank you again for your patience as we answer all requests in the order
received. Emails are usually answered Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 5:00
pm Eastern Standard Time. Thanks for stopping by www.gmpartsdirect.com.

Thank you,
Customer Service
www.GMPartsDirect.com

i think gm still produces these and not as officially licensed products, they came in gm boxes. but they still should be cast from original castings which should have a part number if originals had them, which i don't know, my truck is 120 miles from me. if anyone can look for me i'd appreciate it. again, a thanks to army for his kindness and patience. thanks!!

frank

these trucks don't need vacuum gauges cause they don't suck!
two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left
all i want is a little more than i'll ever get
it's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
72highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

In the`90s GM started the "GM Restoration Parts" program.Suddenly,all these deleted parts became available through the dealershipparts dept.All it was is GM was already approving and selling licensing for aftermarket restoration supplier to produce replica (repop) parts.When they saw how this market was growing they got the idea to start selling these parts themselves in GM packaging.Most of it is made overseas.
If GM runs short on late model parts supplies that they are required by law to provide customers for "x" (supposed to be 10) amount of years they source out a vendor to make a short run.These parts aren`t necessarily produced in the same shop,nor necessarily of equal quality.

Tim

Old 02-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #17
hambone1958

I just sat here reading this so I opened up my GM window crank handles and they don't have a casting # but they do have 2 letters cast in them "PR". I got these from a GMC/BOP dealer. As far as NOS I can tell you now that I am finishing up my project there is some repo stuff that we installed that I'm slowly changing out to NOS because there is a differance IMHO. My truck in a resto rod not a 1000 point show truck.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:36 PM   #18
Shane
Account Suspended

My door handles say Vise Grip on them ...

Last edited by Shane; 02-28-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #19
hambone1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
My door handles say Vise Grip on them ...
LOL I love it.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:41 AM   #20
72armyswbtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1958 View Post
I just sat here reading this so I opened up my GM window crank handles and they don't have a casting # but they do have 2 letters cast in them "PR". I got these from a GMC/BOP dealer. As far as NOS I can tell you now that I am finishing up my project there is some repo stuff that we installed that I'm slowly changing out to NOS because there is a differance IMHO. My truck in a resto rod not a 1000 point show truck.
Well, I guess that solves it, just cause there aren't part numbers on them that doesn't mean that they are not NOS

Thanks for the business
Michael
Old 03-05-2008, 04:55 AM   #21
68caliRat
Need a bigger hammer..

I Just pulled my handles off of my truck (first time in at least 30 years I'd guess) and neither have part numbers on the inside handle. I've been riding in or driving this truck since I was 5 or 6 (I'm almost 36), and I know that the truck is stock. There are a couple numbers in side the round portion of the handle but they aren't long enough to be part numbers. So IDK.

Last edited by 68caliRat; 03-05-2008 at 04:56 AM.
68caliRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #22
67CHIP72
STOLEN

Probably beating a dead horse here, but I happened upon some pics I took of my original(I presume) door handles while it was off recently, so I thought I would post. I know this post is old, but I saw there were no pictures presented...
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #23
special-K
Special Order

That`s a helpful move,fer shur.They manage to get a number on the dangdest things.But,they get`em on there.There are a few exceptions,I guess.But,if one piece has a PN they all will.

Tim

Old 04-20-2008, 11:41 PM   #24
72armyswbtruck

Thanks for the pics, I have seen them on the inside like the pic above and on the handle piece. Now we know
Old 04-22-2008, 02:37 AM   #25
Jerblazer72

I just went out and looked at my handle that I removed a couple weeks ago that I know without a doubt that is original and it looks like the one pictured in post #22. Definately has a number cas into it.

I hope this helps.
Jerblazer72 is offline   Reply With Quote