The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2008, 04:05 AM   #1
SBellew

Post Which VIN to use?

Question for you guys. If you are redoing a truck and start with one truck and use different parts that are in a bit better condition but keep the majority of the original truck parts (but replace the cab with one w/o alot of rust) which VIN would you title to make it legal? (Especially if you do not have the title from the one that you got the cab off from )

NOTE: I am in Alabama if that helps. I figured I'd ask since you guys might be familiar with any problems that arise from a rebuild.

My build thread (Its a slow one)
SBellew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:30 AM   #2
84 400
Sb 400 club

Re: Which VIN to use?

When we do such things here we use the vin that goes with the frame. It does not really matter i guess but which ever is the majority. With the windshield out it is pretty easy to swap the vin plate.
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:53 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

id use the original truck vin.. just watch what youre doing and youll be ok

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:35 AM   #4
SBellew

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
id use the original truck vin.. just watch what youre doing and youll be ok
Good deal, I know that the VIN on the '85 is in the window and the VIN on the '77 is on the door frame.

Just do not want to get caught up in that whole "tampering with VIN" crap with some overzealous title agent or cop. Too bad my original is not a '74, only '75 and up have to be titled in Alabama.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

I'd stick with the VIN that is worth more resale. I.E. if one's a Cheyenne, I'd use it over a bonanza or hillbilly deluxe title any day. If the truck you're keeping is a 4x4, use that VIN so it stays a 4x4. Just my two cents....

My 79 SWB K20 is a common example. Everyone here knows there were no 3/4 ton shortbeds produced from the factory. The title says it's a K20, 4 wheel drive 3/4 ton. The frame that's on there hasn't be z'd and welded back together. It's a half ton 4x4 frame with a different VIN. I didn't know this stuff when I bought it (that's why this site is so great), but I never had any problems at the license branch either. Also never been stopped by a cop, I just cut through the cornfields and get away

Last edited by babyJay; 04-22-2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Added pic
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
SBellew

Yeah, I figure the 85 Silverado has more value than the 77 Custom Deluxe. The biggest deal is the Silverado has a lien against it (which was the previous owner's) but, Alabama code says that a lien auto-releases in 12 years so I just have to get hold of a title to see when the lien was placed on it .

Called the local title dept and they told me that in most instances the state would issue a new VIN to a truck that has undergone replacement of major components and then it just has to be inspected for roadworthiness. Have not given any VIN numbers to the state yet in case it turns out to be more hassle getting a new VIN from the state than what it is worth.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:56 AM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Here in Ohio, it is much like SBellew said. You have to provide documentation (bill of sale, receipt, salvage title, etc) for the major components. That would include replacement body panels, even if they are new. Of course all of the original parts with VIN markings are included too.
You take the vehicle to a Highway Patrol Inspection station and they go over everything. It is mostly about catching stolen parts. They do the typical "road-side" saftey inspection and issue a new VIN. They record all of the VINs that are on the parts. Collectively these parts then "belong" to that vehicle. The "Downside", if you consider it to be one, is that the new Title will call the resulting truck an (ASVE) Assembled Vehicle with the model year that is the same as the year of inspection. I.E. it is no longer a "chevrolet"
When you pass the inspection, You take the form and all of the original paperwork to the BMV. They issue the actual title...with whatever Make and Model names you choose.

I have personally gone through this "dance" twice with motorcycles.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote