The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2008, 04:06 AM   #1
Toddmac

Unhappy I need help....I'm stuck :(

Hi gang,
I was going to replace the window reg on my sons 67 pickup and I prob made a mistake...or two. The regulator wont allow the window to go down/up at all. So I removed the 4 screws holding the assembly to the door and it apparently moved. I can't get the window down other than about 2 inches and of course everything shifted and no bolt holes will align for the regulator to allow me to back track.
My understanding is I need the window down and then I can remove the wing window and go from there. Nothing will budge and I can't seem to get the reg to move enough to align..it wants to crawl inside the door basically.
Ideas? I am open to most that don't involve a blow torch at this stage. I am just replacing the small reg assembly, rollers and felt. So I am wanting to avoid damaging the rest of the tracks etc..not to mention the gold plated wing window assembly..LOL
Thanks for any help!! Todd

I should add that I read the post with all the pics..excellent but my regulator is apparently broke completely and will not move the window at all....grrrrrrrrr It spins fairly easily. I have thought about cutting the shaft off which will allow it to fall inside the door perhaps but I am holding that idea till I get some feedback. Anyone else had this kind of wonderfull luck??

Last edited by Toddmac; 04-21-2008 at 04:41 AM.
Toddmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

Re: I need help....I'm stuck :(

I just redid mine. Before i had to roll the winder crank down untill it locked up, then open the door and get a hand on both sides of the window, and jimmy it down. That was enough to get the vent window out.

"Adios to all the concrete; Gonna get me some dirt road back streets"
jayharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
Toddmac

Well I have kinda beat the ordeal. I decided to cut the shaft off the reg to allow it to fall inside the door...that worked! So here's what I discovered...hard to believe people like this have a job- I got the truck from my brother who wasn't using it much. He had the driver's window replaced after someone broke it out. I had asked if the window ever worked and he thought it did, but once the window guy had been done with his work and gone, my brother discovered it didn't work other than it rolled down about 2 inches and stopped, it was winter and he drove the thing about 1 mile to work literally so he wasn't sure if it worked before....I figured the rollers were gone and the crank flopped all over so it obviously needed a regulator. So today I got all the felts off and could see down in there..guess what? Super genious repair dude put the window in the glass holder about 2 inches too far back!! It was hitting the metal brace just down from the edge of the door. So I got it all out and decided I will get myself a whole regulator now that I have seen how worn the whole assembly is....Now to figure out how to get the glass out of the channel it sits in and move it to where it belongs. I know a glass person who needs a beatin in my book!
Old 04-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Welcome to old trucks! And the board!
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Take a Butan torch and heat the bottom of the window that is sitting in the track and pull it out. Get a tube of window sealer and redo before reinstalling it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:42 AM   #6
Toddmac

The ordeal is almost over! Ran by Classic today and got a new window regulator so tomorrow, weather permitting I will attempt a reassemble..LOL The whole window in the wrong place thing stinks..I spent an hour cutting with a razor knife and it wouldn't budge, I switched to the heat method and some gentle prying and she finally came loose. In the meantime-between swearing breaks-I called a couple glass places and explained what happened and what I needed done. One wanted 125.00 !! Which to me said, he was gonna break my window out and replace it, the other wanted 15-20 bucks to get it back where she belongs....being the cheap ass fix it fellow I am, I kept at it and finally got it off, cleaned up the old gunk and got it glued back in. I replaced all the felts and weather stripping in the meantime to relax...how pissed off does a person have to be so that installing weatherstripping is relaxing anyhow??!! Thanks for the ideas and info...anyone want to come and help do the passenger door? No? I was afraid of that...
Old 04-23-2008, 05:00 AM   #7
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

Man i would be there if i could. Window felt is alot more relaxing then fender repair. I'm glad it all worked out for yah. The sound of the door closing with all new felt and rubber is well worth it every time. If you can get some pics of the ol girl that would be great. I'm interested in the progress.

Seems your at the same point as me.

"Adios to all the concrete; Gonna get me some dirt road back streets"
jayharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:26 AM   #8
Toddmac

Fenders are next...well not next but soon. Kinda keepin an eye out for some good 68 fenders and inners for it. It has 68s on it now and I like em so I will stick with that...I like the sidemarkers, not necessarily these but others..LOL
I have some pics somewhere, I will see if I can get em posted. These are before we started messing with the beast. I rebuilt the motor so the engine compartment is the current issue, I would like to get the motor in and fired here within a couple weeks. My son turns 16 in July so if he gets some form of a partime job then he can open the valve on his wallet and let it spill out like mine has. I guess I am gonna sand it down soon, it has the worlds worst red paint in it now and I'm thinking black primer will be a step up...the red flakes off from touching it in places so it needs to go.

Here's some links to what she looked like a few months back..not much different now other than the engine and compartment will be done soon, I will post them soon.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...6/PC020025.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...6/PC020028.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...6/PC020029.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...6/PC020030.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...6/PC020025.jpg

Last edited by Toddmac; 04-23-2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
cobb_ben

Looks like the hood needs alighned back up. You can adjust the hinges there and get it right. WELCOME TO THE BOARD, hello fellow missourian, lol

-Ben
msd, holley db
hooker pro-comps-3in exh.
3 spd. saginaw-3.73posi
Flat Bed...want Reg bed...trades?
cobb_ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #10
Toddmac

Thanks for the welcome. Yup the hood just needs some adjustments but it's off the truck for now anyway. I got the truck from my brother after he got a new one, he was driving the truck about 1 mile to work so other than general maintenance, he wasn't worried about the other stuff so we got a good deal on it and left some funds to get some things corrected. Good ol Ft. Leonard Wood...my Uncle was there for years and years..he retired from that location.
Is there a list on here for members by locations? I haven't ran across it yet..be nice to meet a few folks from around the area.