The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
TonyJohnson

Cheap temp bikini

I'm planning on buying a bikini for my Blazer from the guy making them for Yukon Jack. Since I haven't done it yet, and I was frying the old top knot, I needed a temp solution. I found a bikini for a jeep wrangler that was free on Craigs list and after a little measuring, I rigged it to work as a cover for my Blazer. The bracket in the pics are just mock ups until I can cut some nicer ones. It's a little funky, but keeps the sun out and gave me a pretty cool idea on making a better version.

The thing I think really works is attaching the front slider bar with two L brackets to the bolt holes that the blazer top fastens to. See the red circles in the photos. This lets the rig attach without any drilling into the blazer itself. I think this would be perfect to attach a curved bar that fit the contours of the window frame that would have snaps on it. Two L braces attached to the bottom of the bar and the other end of the L braces bolted to the blazer top connector threads. This would let you use the Yukon Jack bikini without drilling holes in the Blazer. Pretty nifty.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Re: Cheap temp bikini

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJohnson View Post
Two L braces attached to the bottom of the bar and the other end of the L braces bolted to the blazer top connector threads. This would let you use the Yukon Jack bikini without drilling holes in the Blazer. Pretty nifty.

I don't see any reason to drill extra holes into the windshield frame. They tend to be weak enough as it it. The PO of my blazer had a soft top on it at one time and the buttons were still in the frame. I removed them and put sealant in them for now. Eventually I will weld them up.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:28 AM   #3
TonyJohnson

After a test drive in a good wind, I had to put a couple of zip ties in each end of the front of the cover.
Guess what? They fit perfectly in the slots in the gutters that are there to let water weep out. I just cut a tiny slot in the fabric behind the reinforcing bar and it worked perfectly. It also tightened up the top and now it's really nice and pretty quiet going down the road. My son and I just went for a long ride and it was really cool.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
TonyJohnson

After driving it most of the weekend and this morning into work (froze my ast off...) I like it! Now I just need to make a template for a new front snap bar.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Huck

Tony, find someone with a scrap top and cut the leading edge off the top. You can then use it for the bikini mounting with snaps---mount with the L original brackets and your windshield frame will be happy with no hole and the top will fit super.
Maybe I should go into the blazer top deconstruction business as the two single wall extra's I have will be more valuable in pieces then as whole ones!!
Hummmmm
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
TonyJohnson

Good idea. I was thinking that the ABS plastic guys could mold one. Could be pretty cheap to produce. Where's Tri-pro..? lol