The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2005, 12:39 AM   #26
old trucks again

i had a very simiar problem with a 67 c10 i recently purchased (with poorly fuctioning brakes),after much frustration,i realized the guy before me,had the lines from the porportion valve,to the front and rear,backwords.you never can take it for granite.
marvin.
old trucks again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:03 AM   #27
avejoe
Custer had a plan too.

I thought about this too. According to the GMC service manual the lines are to the prop. valve correctly for a 1/2 ton.

Thanks!
Neighborhood Nuisance

98 BMW 540i for Speed (Sold )
05 Subaru Outback for mileage
avejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:54 PM   #28
franko72
Franko72

I did the same thing and found that the prop valve was bad.

1972 C20 cheyenne Super 402 BB/400 turbo LWB A/C Tilt, Cruise Control, Saddle tanks, Tach
My Home Page
Better to burn out than it is to rust
franko72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 04:52 PM   #29
avejoe
Custer had a plan too.

Blew air throught the front lines with no problem today. All signs point at the proportioning valve.
Neighborhood Nuisance

Old 01-02-2005, 06:22 PM   #30
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Is the "Brake" light on? (on the dash) This is probably from having the rear brakes bled and having a pressure imbalance.
It sounds funny, but the back brakes are likely causing the problem.
The first thing to do is make sure that every bleeder will open and that they are not clogged.
Next, open the rear bleeders (with the fronts closed) and let them flow a bit. Press the pedal to the floor and see if you can get it the proportioning valve "pop" back......the light will go off.
Then open the front bleeders and allow everything to gravity bleed for a while (don't let it run dry)
After they all flow freely tighten the bleeders. You should have a fairly good pedal at that point.
Start bleeding from the right rear and work yourself toward the left front (last)......have the key on and be aware of the brake light. Don't let the pedal get down far enough to pop the switch.

We really need something about this on the FAQ page, it comes up a lot.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:36 PM   #31
avejoe
Custer had a plan too.

Is the brake light controlled only by the position of the prop valve or only pressure?
Neighborhood Nuisance

Last edited by avejoe; 01-02-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:35 PM   #32
dwaite72lnghrn

Leave the small rubber boot on the front of the proprtioning valve and use a piece of angle iron and a vise grip, Push in on the boot with the angle iron then clamp tight against the sides with the vise grips, Then bleed the brakes front and back. This has worked for me in the past.
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:42 PM   #33
LONGHAIR

The light is controlled by the valve.....and the valve is controlled by the lack of pressure on one side or the other.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:55 AM   #34
avejoe
Custer had a plan too.

I used a c-clamp to hold the button in but I could not pull any fluid through the front using a vac. I pulled the boot off prior to using the c-clamp. I will put the boot on and c-clamp it tomorrow and try to bleed it using the old fashioned way with a helper.

I am pretty sure now I have never had front brakes in this truck. No wonder the pads look so good.

I feel like I am zeroing in on it.

My truck is not smarter than me. My truck is not smarter than me. My truck is not smarter than me. My truck is not smarter than me. My truck is not smarter than me. My truck is not smarter than me. My truck is not smarter than me.
Neighborhood Nuisance

Old 01-08-2005, 07:06 PM   #35
RICHARD MORGAN

Im having the same situation. Id have to just about stand on the brakes to stop. My master cylinder was leaking a little bit so i replaced it and bled the brakes, but the brakes still werent hard. The rubber brake lines looked kind of old and weathered so i relaced them with stainless ,but the brakes still werent hard. I then replaced all the hard brake lines with a prebent stainless kit. So all i have left is the booster and the proportional valve. The booster was $70 and im putting it on this week. If that dont do it i guess ill be buying a new proportional valve.

Richard
RICHARD MORGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:43 AM   #36
avejoe
Custer had a plan too.

I put a new (used) prop valve on today. No change. I can get the truck to stop but I can't lock it up.

Is your prop valve off-setting?

I'm really getting annoyed. Have you changed the front calipers?

What year is your truck?
Neighborhood Nuisance

Old 04-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #37
ssfirefighter

Re: Proportioning Valve

I have been fighting the same problem for some time now as well. I have a new master cylinder, new proportioning valve, new front brake hoses and the thing bleeds good. I didn't depress the ''button'' on the front of the proportioning valve when I did it though. The thing will stop, but no matter how hard I press it will not lock up. Just at idle it won't even dip the front end. I am thinking new wheel cylinders and calipers? Any more help?
ssfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:40 PM   #38
chipflyer

I bought a brand new master cylinder at Advance Auto and went through the same stuff you are going through, no front brakes and everything else replaced. I finally suspected the master cylinder was bad (from advice on here) and had them order me another one and a completely different (wrong) master cylinder showed up in a correctly numbered box. They apologized and ordered me another new one, the wrong part came in again in the correct box. Then he ordered 3 of them that were at their warehouse and guess what, 3 different master cylinders! He was embarrassed, apologized, and refunded my money. I went to NAPA and picked up a re manufactured Master Cylinder and I had no trouble bleeding the brakes and had a great pedal in about 10 minutes.
I really don't think you have a problem with your prop valve, there is not much in there to go bad and as Longhair stated, it just moves from the center to one end or the other when there is a leak in the system and if you can make the light go out it is fine. Yours is doing exactly what mine did before I finally got a good master cylinder. Either go get another or borrow a know good one from someone and do some testing.
center
Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.

Last edited by chipflyer; 04-28-2008 at 02:02 AM.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:15 AM   #39
LONGHAIR

ssfirefighter,
You really should have started your own thread, instead of hi-jacking one that is over 3yrs old.
Some more info might help too. You said that you have a new M/C but how about the booster? Did you flush the lines? Good clean fluid? Is it bleeding well to all 4 corners? Pedal freeplay? etc....
Old 04-28-2008, 06:36 AM   #40
ssfirefighter

Sorry. I posted to see what he figured out, and thought the last post was in 01-08, but it was 01-08-05 sorry.

Anyway, the booster seems to be fine. I have a vacuum reserve on it and it holds good vac. I have bled a good two 32 oz bottles of fluid through it and it bleeds clean. The pedal feels spongy though and it just doesn't stop like it should. If I really stand on it, it just comes to a nice smooth stop and won't stop hard at all.

Last edited by ssfirefighter; 04-28-2008 at 06:37 AM.
ssfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #41
bigblockorange

I took the easy way out! My local garage bled my brakes with a power bleeder for $20 no mess no hassle
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #42
jhow66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssfirefighter View Post
Sorry. I posted to see what he figured out, and thought the last post was in 01-08, but it was 01-08-05 sorry.

Anyway, the booster seems to be fine. I have a vacuum reserve on it and it holds good vac. I have bled a good two 32 oz bottles of fluid through it and it bleeds clean. The pedal feels spongy though and it just doesn't stop like it should. If I really stand on it, it just comes to a nice smooth stop and won't stop hard at all.
Adjust your booster to MC rod longer--not enough travel to use all of MC. (my guess) (be careful to not get it to long as it will not then retract enough)
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #43
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

http://www.classicperform.com/TechBo...tm#testbooster

Its basic stuff, but this help me out with the problem. Mine turned out to be a bad right rear cylinder. Also with mine being a long bed, it took a few days of driving around to shake all the air loose. My brakes wern't the best after the first bleed, but i did it again a week later, and now they are almost damn perfect.

Also check the vacume on the motor. Make sure you are getting the right amount to the booster.

"Adios to all the concrete; Gonna get me some dirt road back streets"
jayharrell is offline   Reply With Quote