The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

Build your own headers?? Kit or scraps??

I've got a clearence situation this is looking like i will have to spend $800+ for some tucked in headers for my 455 that will fit in my 69 CST. The cheeper ones about $200 won't fit. Well, they will, but with only about 1/8 inch on each side.

Anyone ever build your own headers??

I've looked around some today for a kit, misc J bends and U bends, some L's and some straights all in one kit. I can get flanges pretty cheep, but not sure what i should do about the rest. If its better to get a kit, or just hit the local muffler shop for some scraps??

Any ideas??

ttt

"Adios to all the concrete; Gonna get me some dirt road back streets"
jayharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
71 super

Re: Build your own headers?? Kit or scraps??

I built a set using the kit offered by Hooker. It took a couple of sat. but turned out very well and they fit the chassis nicely- ended up looking similar to the headman models for our trucks only in 1 7/8" diameter into 3.5" collectors. The kit included the stahl conversion required for the big tubes and the collectors as well. I recommend doing where you have access to a bandsaw and some help because the passenger side can be a bi**h because of the starter- in your case the drivers side may be the hard side. The kit has everything you will need but you need to plan the route out carefully, mine would only go in if truck was completely off the ground w/ front higher than the rear and suspension drooping. Be sure to get some old wire clothes hangers to make form with and tack everything lightly in the beginning so that you can weld it up nicely after you get it completed (i.e all the way around the tubes. Also look into buying a carbide burr for a drill motor or grinder so you can clean the welds up after you are finished. Hope this helps you get started. Harold
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

Thas what i wanted to know.

How much did the kit run you?? Did it come with flanges??

With my Big Block Buick i've only got about 3.5 inches of clearance from the heads to the frame, so the 1 7/8 pipe would probably work good.

Thanks for the info.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
cdowns

buy the cheap ones then slice and dice till you get a good fit/it'll probally be much cheaper and quicker in the long run
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:54 AM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I'm with cdowns on this one, you don't have to re-invent the wheel, just modify it for your needs.
Building from scratch is a lot of work fitting/marking/tacking...cutting back apart. It can definately be done and if you enjoy the challenge, go for it.
You will save quite a bit of time by modifying an existing set, especially if it is only a few tubes that need to move.
To do it from scratch, you will almost definately have to remove the front clip. Trying to do this over the fenders will get old really quickly...
I have made a few sets, but they were always for "transplant" applications, where there was nothing made to fit.
If you choose to do it yourself, get the kit. They have are much better bends than you will be able to scrounge from the local muffler shop and there are plenty of them.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:58 AM   #6
FormerMember
Account Suspended

So, where and what kits are people buying?

I need to make a set of headers for my twin turbo Caddy 500 going into my "K30".
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:20 AM   #7
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

I think i'm on board with you guys. The used set I'm looking at the guy only wants 150 for. He has his 455 in a 71 c10, but with different motor mounts. I think i can just cut and move the pipes a little to make them fit.

grendel... hows that caddy 500 fitting in there with the 'back wards' oil pan?? My dad has a caddy 500 in his 79 eldorado convertible, and we were talking about transplanting one of the 2 500 he has in my 69 c10, but having that oil pump up front seems like a challenge. Let me know.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:23 AM   #8
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayharrell View Post
I think i'm on board with you guys. The used set I'm looking at the guy only wants 150 for. He has his 455 in a 71 c10, but with different motor mounts. I think i can just cut and move the pipes a little to make them fit.

grendel... hows that caddy 500 fitting in there with the 'back wards' oil pan?? My dad has a caddy 500 in his 79 eldorado convertible, and we were talking about transplanting one of the 2 500 he has in my 69 c10, but having that oil pump up front seems like a challenge. Let me know.
Actually, it fits fine, need to use a rear sump oil pan from an earlier Eldorado 68-76. Pics in the sig of the c/k conversion.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote