The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Aluminum vs. Steel Gas (Fuel) Tanks

So I'll eventually be buying a tank for the rear of my '67. The most common metal tanks I've seen are aluminum, but I've also seen stainless steel and steel. There has been mention that aluminum can rip/tear if damaged, and steel will bend. Obviously I don't plan on this ever happening, but it is really a concern? Especially on a bagged truck? And, other than weight, are there any other advantages or disadvantages to one style over the other??

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado

Last edited by Riveted1; 04-26-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:42 PM   #2
lowriden58

Re: Aluminum vs. Steel Gas (Fuel) Tanks

steel rusts. either use Alum or stainless

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
Highsteel
Chasin' the Dream

Stainless and aluminum are expensive. Auto makers been using steel since, well, forever. It can't be that bad of an option, unless your looking at the bling scale.
I'd use a JY steel tank before shelling out major $$ unless it was for a show ride. Just find one close the dimensions needed and strap it up.
If your afraid of damage, use which ever tank you want, protected with a skid plate.
Highsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:33 AM   #4
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

The problem with Al is that with today's alcohol laced fuel, the fuel deteriorates the aluminum and all that is carried into your engine. If going with Al, I'd use a sealer on the inside.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:06 AM   #5
cdowns

zero weight savings with aluminum tanks because they use thicker gauge aluminum compared to steel so some aluminum tanks are actually a bit heavier the the same capacity steel// not at all unusual for steel tanks to last 60-70years so the rust issue is lame at best
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:25 AM   #6
lowriden58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
zero weight savings with aluminum tanks because they use thicker gauge aluminum compared to steel so some aluminum tanks are actually a bit heavier the the same capacity steel// not at all unusual for steel tanks to last 60-70years so the rust issue is lame at best
true.. IF you take the proper steps to seal the tank inside & out. pretty much the same thing with air tanks, ive seen air tanks rust from inside out due to moisture vs aluminum which wont just my .02

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:11 AM   #7
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

So other issues aside, I'm assuming that no one is really worried about the aluminum tearing/ripping in an accident? I'm just not a big fan of fireballs....

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
Old 04-27-2008, 04:33 AM   #8
Highsteel
Chasin' the Dream

Personally, relocating my gas tank just keeps slipping down my trucks priority list. It started pretty high on the list. Then I finally got a pair of 6x9's in boxes stuffed under the (bench) seat. I was gonna move it for speaker placement.
Now I dunno, IF I run across one a steel one close to the desired size, that has an electric fuel pump and fuel gauge that works, that comes from a fuel injected vehicle, that has the fill in the right spot.............eh, right. Mine holds gas, and fumes, it accepts fuel fast, and shows no sign of rust(the only rust-free place on the truck). I'm good with it.

Last edited by Highsteel; 04-27-2008 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Editing
Highsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #9
abadsvt

Do you really think that the alluminum tanks that everyone sells are actually bad? I know that alluminum is porus but i am a little suprised that the gas hurts the alluminum. Do you know this for sure? I was going to build an alluminum one for the side project but now i am thinking otherwise.

Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

You've raised some interesting questions.

The steel tank in my truck is only 39 years old.
Should I be worried?

All kidding aside, go with whatever you can find to fit your truck/needs.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #11
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

No, I'm not trying to be funny or anything. I think this is a legitimate question. Advertisers go out of their way to make one product seem better than the other, and I'm trying to figure out if there is an honest answer to this question. If it were a question of price, everyone would go w/the aluminum b/c it's cheaper... does that mean it's safer?? It's all good though, the aluminum tank will save me a few hundies...

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"

Last edited by Riveted1; 04-27-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
cdowns

well if you're worried about safty there is little to no safty advantage to having the tank out of the cab to the back of the rear axel in the pinto position// theres a little advantage as far as usable space in the cab but thats about it// you get in a bad enough accident and your time is up you fry its pretty much as simple as that
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
msgross

I'm going with aluminum in the back, my tank was rusty, and I want to try a speaker box behind my seat. Also might make adjustments to my buddy buckets so that I can get more leg room (i'm 6'3").

I'm making a group buy on Aluminum tanks, custom built to order. Follow the link in my signature and see what you think. I posted my design (that might change a little before I order) but you can make your own design too. I'll send you the powerpoint slide of my plans and you can make changes and get a quote.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #14
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsvt View Post
Do you really think that the alluminum tanks that everyone sells are actually bad? I know that alluminum is porus but i am a little suprised that the gas hurts the alluminum. Do you know this for sure? I was going to build an alluminum one for the side project but now i am thinking otherwise.

Josh
Admittedly these only state a problem with E85 which is a higher concentration of alcohol in the fuel, however I'm not so sure Al is ok even for 10%.
http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa...nol/index.html (read the last paragraph on page 1)
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a
http://www.ethanol.org/index.php?id=55&parentid=29 (read fittings and connectors paragraph)

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Last edited by Brad; 04-29-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #15
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Most new vehicles have tanks made out of some sort of plastic composite- my 96 Tahoe for one- but, steel tanks have been used ever since the beginning of the automobile industry. If you use good gas, make sure you fill it up when storing it for any length of time and use moisture removal additives, they should last a long time. I've had mine for 40 years and just in the last year it's rusting in the filler area because I've had it parked for restoration.

That being said, I had thought of removing mine from the back of the seat for two reasons... First, I wanted some room to install a flat, stand-up, storage box for tools etc. Second reason was to add some weight to the rear.

I opted to leave it where it's at for originality even though the idea of a tank full of gasoline right behind me is not my idea of comfort. Also, I figured getting rear ended with a rear tank can be just as bad...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #16
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

If alcahol is a problem with aluminum, why do alcahol funny cars use aluminum fuel cells and aluminum hose fittings?
Fuel for thought.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #17
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
If alcahol is a problem with aluminum, why do alcahol funny cars use aluminum fuel cells and aluminum hose fittings?
Fuel for thought.
I believe they were talking of gasoline/ethanol mixture in tanks that last longer than one race. Hopefully...
Old 04-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #18
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

I still like the idea of all that gas out of the cab and away from me!!!
Can you imagine passengers riding in a car with a tank full of gas in there with them?
I don't think there are many trucks with in cab tanks?
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #19
68gmsee

It's no comfort in having the tank behind you but, believe it or not, there are some advantages in the tank being in the cab...

When these trucks were made, they were primarily for farm, ranch and rural use. You did a lot of traveling on gravel roads. There was no chance of the tank getting damaged by rocks- I've been there and it's no fun when your rear mounted tank has a big gash and you're in the middle of no where...

When I was thinking of moving my tank, an old body shop friend told me that he never saw a GM truck of that vintage with a damaged gas tank during a collision, front or rear. He said there's a lot of metal in front and back that prevented the tank from damage. He did see many cars that were rear ended with damaged or dented gas tanks.

He also mentioned that if you had a leak, you'd know pretty quick.

So right there you have three advantages: no rock damage, less likely to get damaged during a collision and you can detect leaks faster.

The other problem that I see in placing the tank where the spare tire goes is if you get rear ended by a vehicle these days. More than likely it will be small, low to the ground car and it will slide under your truck rupturing the tank. I guess if you have a huge bumper and lower the truck quite a bit, you may be okay. But in my case, it's almost stock height.

Last edited by 68gmsee; 04-29-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:35 AM   #20
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
It's no comfort in having the tank behind you but, believe it or not, there are some advantages in the tank being in the cab...

When these trucks were made, they were primarily for farm, ranch and rural use. You did a lot of traveling on gravel roads. There was no chance of the tank getting damaged by rocks- I've been there and it's no fun when your rear mounted tank has a big gash and you're in the middle of no where...

When I was thinking of moving my tank, an old body shop friend told me that he never saw a GM truck of that vintage with a damaged gas tank during a collision, front or rear. He said there's a lot of metal in front and back that prevented the tank from damage. He did see many cars that were rear ended with damaged or dented gas tanks.

He also mentioned that if you had a leak, you'd know pretty quick.

So right there you have three advantages: no rock damage, less likely to get damaged during a collision and you can detect leaks faster.

The other problem that I see in placing the tank where the spare tire goes is if you get rear ended by a vehicle these days. More than likely it will be small, low to the ground car and it will slide under your truck rupturing the tank. I guess if you have a huge bumper and lower the truck quite a bit, you may be okay. But in my case, it's almost stock height.
All good points! As were many of the others in this thread. Now here is the question.... If you had your tank mounted in the rear location, AND you were hit by another vehicle, WHICH tank would be safer, aluminum or one of the steel varieties??

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
Old 04-30-2008, 01:07 AM   #21
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riveted1 View Post
All good points! As were many of the others in this thread. Now here is the question.... If you had your tank mounted in the rear location, AND you were hit by another vehicle, WHICH tank would be safer, aluminum or one of the steel varieties??
Good question.... Here's my .02....

If I were going to move mine to the back, I think I would go with a stainless- if money was not an issue. I like the idea of aluminum, but something tells me that it would tend to rupture easier than steel or stainless. I'm not a metallurgist, but my experience with aluminum is that it tends to break easier.

My second choice would be a regular steel tank.

I'm not crazy about the looks of a plastic tank in the back. It has it's advantages, but I just don't care for them.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:35 AM   #22
LSGarage

One more thing to think about. With the tank behind the seat, in the cab, it sets higher than the engine. The tank almost gravity feeds the engine without the need for a fuel pump!
13 Honda CRV (wife's wheels)
03 Malibu (daughter’s car)
LSGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:51 AM   #23
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
I'm not crazy about the looks of a plastic tank in the back. It has it's advantages, but I just don't care for them.
I read or heard somewhere that those poly tanks like to deform during our summers here in AZ.... Don't know if they do or not, but I'm not gonna chance it.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"