The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2008, 01:34 AM   #1
coggonobrien

396 head comparison

how do the truck heads compare to the car ones? i've got a lead on a 69 396 but i can't recall if he said it was a truck or car motor. it'll run me 700 (just need to buy new bearings, accesssories, and slap it back together) so i'm definately buying it. i know the trucks had square ports while the cars had round. just wondering if there was a noticeable flow differance, and if it varied torque curves. thanks, Dave
coggonobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:56 AM   #2
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Re: 396 head comparison

well if u're definitely buying it then just pull off a valve cover and slap that casting number into google and you'll find out pretty quick what heads you have without turning a bolt.
but basically from my knowledge anything square port it pretty much really good and flows awesome, and most of the heads off 396's are quite good too.
i have some 781 heads that i am trying to sell that are oval port and I had them fully ported so they flow equivalent to a square port now. but that gives you an idea of the difference in performance some oval ports are compared to squares. only the closed chamber ovals flow good stock, there are only a few good open chamber ovals made.
smoknbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:10 AM   #3
coggonobrien

Re: 396 head comparison

cool, thanks for the tips
coggonobrien is offline   Reply With Quote