The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2008, 02:58 AM   #1
ol Curt

Cab Work questions

I'm now ready to begin some cab work on my truck and am hoping somebody can send a link to some pics or list the steps to do the things I think I need. I have the outer rockers,a pillar patches, and I suspect I will need inner rockers and floor supports. The floor pan doesn't seem to be in too bad of shape. I have a friend who is a good welder but hasn't done any body work. Is there a particular order I should follow as far as bracing the cab and then taking parts off and then reassembling?
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
truckn'

Re: Cab Work questions

cut the outer out, cut the inner out, replace inner, check inner cowl panels if they need replaced, then replace A pillars, then outer rocker. this way you can pre drill new holes on inner so you can keep alignment. I believe this is the way I done it, but I'm sure someone with more experience will have more info. If you go to paint and body forum there is a guy who has step by step with pics and it's pretty informative. hope this helps
Old 05-01-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Just my opinions...

Try the FAQ and search, although a search can use up a lot of time reading. Then again, reading is cheaper than redoing the work.

Do this work with the cab on the frame if possible.

Replace the rubber bushings between the frame and cab (and core support) first if you can.

Study and _practice_ some on welding thin metal. Its different than welding thicker stock.

Brace first as needed
Cut out old from outside in but not too much at a time
Replace from inside out more or less

Not sure what part of the pillars you are replacing, but it could get dangerous.

Under the skin, I think 60-66 and 67-72 are very similar. There's a long brace under the floor on each side parallel to the frame. Don't remove that without bracing. Even so, bracing may be needed depending on what is cut out.

If you get under it, it should be pretty obvious if floor/cab supports are needed. I'm in the south and my fronts are 25% gone on a 72 truck.

When the search starts working again try "ebfabman" I think...
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
ol Curt

Thanks, that link had a lot of info!
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote