The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
myoldchevytruck
Retired Air Force Veteran

Question Disk Brake Help.....

I recently swapped to disk brakes in the front of my 69' SWB. Yesterday, I was informed that both the Master Cylinder and the Proportioning Valve needed to be changed. Are there specific years that I can pull these parts from? Say, 71-87. Or can any GM setup work that has disks in the front and drums in the back. (P.S. - the later models are readily available here in So. FL where the early models are scarce, unlike the Southern States or the Mid West) Thanks, Harry
Swap 6 Lug to 5 Lug (w/ Disk Brakes in Front)
3/6 Drop

Help Support The Board
Click Here For Information On How To Subscribe

Krue's FAQ Page

Vendors
myoldchevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Re: Disk Brake Help.....

Got my prop valve used from a 71' and new MC for 71' also at Autozone.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
70GMCer

I would say that any GM disk/drum prop valve from trucks would work. I think that the 3/4T ones maybe be different. I'm using an 84 burb MS with a 71 prop valve. Others will chime in here.

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
myoldchevytruck
Retired Air Force Veteran

ttt
Swap 6 Lug to 5 Lug (w/ Disk Brakes in Front)
3/6 Drop

Help Support The Board
Click Here For Information On How To Subscribe

Krue's FAQ Page

Vendors
myoldchevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I would use a master cylinder off a 71 or 72, this way you know it'll bolt right up. I'm willing to bet you could get a prop valve off of tthe parts board for 25 bucks or less.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:28 AM   #6
michael bustamante

yeah you have to change the prop valve but I heard you have to change the brake lines too from the prop valve to the caliper. Ill lbe watching this to see if someone can confirn this
Old 05-03-2008, 01:39 AM   #7
SCOTI

Any pre-81 GM 1/2 ton truck master cylinder & prop valve would work. Some later models (81-87) might have the GM 'quick take-up' valving & might be more sensitve to swap.

If you don't want to mess w/brake lines, you can also use the hard-lines for the later model trucks w/a little tweaking by hand. I used a 73-78 master cylinder, hard-lines & prop valve combined w/a 71-72 power booster (& 71-72 related firewall brackets). The 67-72 prop valve mounts up by the master cylinder; the 73 & later prop valve mounts on the splash apron that is between the frame rails in front of the balancer.

I grabbed a master cylinder, hard-lines, prop valve, rubber-lines w/retainers, & the brake line that exits the prop valve for the rear brakes off of a 75 donor 1/2 ton truck. I made sure to leave that rear line exiting the prop valve as long as possible.

I mounted the prop valve to the splash apron on my 68 just like it was mounted on the 75 donor. The front hard-lines line up w/pre-existing holes in the frame (even though my truck originally had drums on all 4 corners the holes were still there). I used new 73 & later rubber-lines & secured them to the upper a-arms w/factory GM retaining clips (the reason I grabbed the donor rubber-lines was for the GM retaining clips). The lines route to the calipers just like any disc brake truck.

The rear line spliced into a factory union block that already existed under the pass side of the cab. I simply cut the line to the required length using a standard tubing cutter, flared the fitting properly (dbl flare), & secured it to the union after removing the original line.

The hard lines from the master cylinder to the prop valve required very minimal 'tweaking' to accurrately follow the frame rail for a factory correct appearance. If you need any more specifics let me know . . ....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:21 AM   #8
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

like Longhorn Man siad, run to a parts store and pick up a 71-72 master cylinder. I then bought a CPP PV-1 proportioning valve. You will have to bend and flare some tubing here and there, but it well worth the effort.

Buy a good flaring tool!

here's my setup on my '69. No power booster and she stops on a dime!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 05-03-2008 at 02:44 AM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote