The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Question Should I make this trade?

I currently own a 70 chevelle, and a 72 c-10. Neither run, but for the truck it is just the motor, and for the chevelle, it's a laundry list of items.
Now, a guy at work has a running (when pulled) 454, with all the brackets and accessories (basically a turn key motor) that he wants to trade me for the chevelle.
So... couple of questions; What motor mounts do I need? Would a 454 kill a TH350 transmission? Should I make this trade?
Tell me what y'all think. Pros and Cons.
Todd

Oh... and I don't care about gas mileage. I have a 06 Pontiac Solstice as a daily driver, and it gets all the gas mileage I need.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
lowriden58

Re: Should I make this trade?

post pics of the chevelle so we can give you a good honest answer

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

It doesnt sound too fair to me, but there are a lot of variables

& yes, IMO the 454 will KILL the 350 trans

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
Charlesdur

Keep the Chevelle in IMO, you can find an engine anytime. In my area at least a 1970 Chevelle is hard to find. But PICs would help

1971 3/4 ton
454 cu.in.
4 speed manual

1966 Thunderbird
390 cu.in.
Airride
Roadster
Charlesdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

I don't have a picture of the chevelle... but here is the laundry list;
needs entire front clip, front rails of frame look to be bent, needs engine and trans, needs radiator core support, needs trunk floor replaced since it has rusted through in places, needs gas tank replaced (rust), needs patch panels welded in under the rear windshield where it has rusted through, needs trunk lid, needs driveshaft, needs steering column, needs wiring harness, needs interior replaced, and maybe floorboard as well, needs master cylinder replaced.
I'm actually more worried about him backing out when he sees the car, but truth be told, he's got a 468 that he's wanting to put in it to make it a drag car. Tubbing it and everything.
do you think somebody out there would be interested in trading 2 th350s for 1 th400?
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
Old 05-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
70rs/ss

If it is a bone stock 454 the th350 will be fine, that being said a bone stock 454 with $4/gal fuel you are losing out, the Velle even though in really rough shape is still a 70 chevelle one of the two most popular years (the other being a 67). Junk rollers go for $3-5K. Sell the Velle and buy the 454 for $300. Trust me, ebay and the chevelle will be gone, some guy on the right coast will want it.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
streetstar

agree with 70rs/ss.

It doesn't seem to be an equitable trade (but i haven't seen pics of it yet)

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
sameyrasmea72

Does the Chevelle have a title?
Old 05-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
Shane
Account Suspended

A 454 can be purchased for fairly reasonable prices still ... a '70 Chevelle can not.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
chevguy7

Keep the chevelle, drop the 454 in it.
chevguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #11
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Ok... I will keep the Chevelle.

Todd

IIOY???
Old 05-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtheodd View Post
Ok... I will keep the Chevelle.

Todd
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #13
Charlesdur

Thumbs up Re: Should I make this trade?

or sell it to me and I will find you a 454.. just messing.. keep that chevelle or sell it, but dont trade it for an engine. good call and good luck

1971 3/4 ton
454 cu.in.
4 speed manual

1966 Thunderbird
390 cu.in.
Airride
Roadster
Charlesdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #14
chevy72blu

I know you want that big block, but think about it; that thing may habe a cracked block, burn oil like a sieve, and have have ground every lobe off of it's cam. You just dont know.

When I found my BBC for my 72, it was in a very restorable (zero rust) 72 LWB. I paid the guy 1500 bucks for it with the beautifully running 454 all accessories, brackets, mounts, etc. I drove my "new truck" for a few days; damn it was fun having 2 72's, and put it on ebay for sale with no motor. It sold on ebay for around 1400, and I sold my 20k mile SBC to a buddy of mine for his jeep project - I ended up coming out with more cash in my pocket, and a great running 454 which turned out to be very recently rebuilt; I still tore it down and did all the bells a whistles, but it was a nice motor when I bought it.

The moral of the story is, you'll find a deal if you look around. a 70-72 Chevelle is my DREAM car. I dont care how bad of shape one is it... I would buy yours in a heart beat if I was out of school.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #15
chevychase

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72blu View Post
I know you want that big block, but think about it; that thing may habe a cracked block, burn oil like a sieve, and have have ground every lobe off of it's cam. You just dont know.
100%
Old 05-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #16
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Did I mention that I am the guy's supervisor at work? I would REALLY hope that he wouldn't trade me a crap 454......
But anywho... I just want one of my babies running again.
I almost wonder what I could get out of my truck... but I don't think I could get enough to get the chevelle up and running.
Todd

IIOY???
Old 05-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #17
70rs/ss

Buy the 454 outright? Offer him $3-600 depending if you heard it run, stock vs hopped up. Honestly, (and this is coming from a guy with 8 yes EIGHT BBCs) a stockish 2-bolt from a 73 and up truck is not worth alot as the gas prices are crazy. I bought two Vortec 454 with roller cams and the "GOOD" vortec BBC heads for a couple hundred each (granted they need rebuilt) they are 4-bolt main blocks, one piece rear mains and roller cams. The early Gen IVs aren't worth a lot of $$$ unless is a LS5 or LS6 4-bolt, yadda yadda. I doubt he would trade you a junker, but the car is worth $1500 on it's worst day and $3-4k if someone really wants it.

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 05-03-2008 at 11:07 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:29 AM   #18
HoupPhotography

IMO...
We don't have these trucks because were enviornmentalist, flipping to green or carpooling to save gas. With that said, fuel economy is the LAST thing that should be considered in a trade, build or swap. This is very simular to the comments Special K made in reference to the sale of our vehicles with increasing fuel prices, as he mentioned, "there have been fuel consuption concerns for over 30 years..." So don't take our current fuel situation to heart when making your decision, it's pointless and can bring possible regret in the future... "I should of done this back then". If your serious about fuel consumption and MPG's then buy an electric car and store the 'ol chevy until fuel prices are back to "normal".

Deciede what You want to do and do it, you know in your mind what may or seem to be good for you in your situation.... the feeling you get in your stomach, good or bad, we can't help you make that decision just steer you all over the road. I see a ton of big blocks, blower motors and other un-fuel econmic rides every weekend along with 600+ other non D.D. at a local saturday show.

I guess the point is this, Life is what you make it, you get out of it what you put into it and just like high fuel prices WE will not be around forever, build what suites you!
Old 05-04-2008, 02:45 AM   #19
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

If I were closer I'd give you a running 454 and 400 tranny for the velle.

I'm glad your keeping the velle
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote