The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
SkylineNXS

Anybody up for a fireball?

So heres the deal, i came home frome college today, about a 3 and a hlaf hour trip from champaign, IL, to crystal lake, IL. THe first sign that somethin was up was that as i was drivin i could sorta smell gas, but it was extremly faint, and i kept drivin past gas stations, so i figured i would check once i got home to fill 'er up. So i get to the gas station about 2 min from my house, nad im fillin up the LH tank, and some lady on the street in her car yells, hey kid with the truck, ur leakin gas! So i look under the truck and lookie here, a big puddle is forming underneith the RH tank. So im thinkin ****....so i quickly move the truck, very cautious, dont wanna blow anything up, and drive home. Me and my dad remove the plastic gaurd cover thing over the tank to find a nice foam pad lookin thing that was pressed up against the tank, with has a nice size hole in it streamin gas out. That tank didnt really work right in the first place, so there was only about 2 gallons in it. We were able to catch about a gallon, so that means on my trip home today, i lost a gallon of gas through that hole...it wasnt leaking when i left so somethin must have moved. So just a warning, if u buy a new truck, in my case an 87, check for foam pads covering holes in ur gas tanks!!

BRAD

1966 C10 SWB Fleet, 250 I6, three on the tree....

Previously Owned....
1987 Chevy R10 "Silverado" (at least the badges were) Short Step 350 700r4....

1972 Chevy LWB Fleet 350/350

EXTENDED CAB ALL THE WAY!

.._..~...-...._...____
.._..-...______|_|__\____
..-..~.|_(O)__|_|__|_(O)]
SkylineNXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:09 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Anybody up for a fireball?

i have the same problem with my left tank on the 82 right side dont work yet..

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

probably rusted out from that plastic shield, they are worthless, We used jb weld on my dads 73 work truck when it rusted, it was only on the top half of the tank so he could only throw 20 or so in it each fill up. sealed her right up with jb and hasnt leaked since, but you gotta make sure you know how to prep the surfaces right. and no sparks lol

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
SkylineNXS

So it kinda sucks cause the hole is right on the bottom, but ill have to deal with it. I removed the plastic cover and whatnot, the sponge and drained all the gas. I left it for 2 days to chill and evaporate as much as possible with the tank cover off to try and vent the gases, worked ok. I bought some tank repair epoxy putty from autozone, i sanded the surface, being sure there wasnt any sparks, adn tried to remove as much of the crap as possible. All u do is knead the putty (2 part epoxy) and then apply. I kinda made a needle with it to get as much in the hole as possible, but there was some other kind of a plastic above the hole inside the tank, idk if someone tried an epoxy repair before or what, but it was loose from the tank, at least at the location of the hole, so im guessing thats how the leak started again. So i put the putty up there and then i sprayed the tank with some rustoleum to try and prevent any more rust. The pics kinda go through it, so we'll see if this works or not. The sending unit or some part of the switching mechanism between tanks doesnt work, so this tank doesnt work anyway, so i wont be putting gas in it until i get that fixed up. Enjoy...

BRAD
Attached Images

1966 C10 SWB Fleet, 250 I6, three on the tree....

Previously Owned....
1987 Chevy R10 "Silverado" (at least the badges were) Short Step 350 700r4....

1972 Chevy LWB Fleet 350/350

EXTENDED CAB ALL THE WAY!

.._..~...-...._...____
.._..-...______|_|__\____
..-..~.|_(O)__|_|__|_(O)]
SkylineNXS is offline   Reply With Quote