The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2008, 01:09 AM   #26
TyJ

Re: i need muffler help!!

Anybody running magnaflows?

I have some ready to go in, I was told they are the quietest out of all the major brands, and I like the sound
TyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #27
AllenKarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal View Post
I myself(no offense to ANYONE!) cannot stand the soound of glasspacks. They remind me of a clapped-out old ford. But to each his own.
I like the Flowmaster 50's,super 40's,and the Dynomax race Magnums. Hooker AeroChambers sound very nice also. Good Luck.
-Lance
Yeah, I HATE glasspacks! They're way too "poppy" IMO.
AllenKarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #28
Ol'Rover
Project: years too late.

my friend has cherry bomb glasspacks on his '78 MustangII 30t Ford... i help him work on the car, but i hate it. Sounds like a popcorn maker.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #29
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

After reading several negative comments about glasspacks and snap, crackle, pop -- I need to add something, and ask a question . First, I am old school all the way. My truck has had 36" glasspack blanks for at least 20 years, and before that I had the same mufflers on a full-size Dodge van with a 318. Both have had a deep quiet mellow V8 burble (can't even call it a rumble) and never a hint of cackle. I agree those who say the cackle is too annoying and is not what I want to hear.

So -- what causes it? Short mufflers? Cheaply made mufflers? Poor quality packing? Gotta be something going on here... all glasspacks are most definitely not created equal.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #30
Ol'Rover

the lenth of the glasspack will affect the sound, shorter will have popping and crackling, since you have a longer set, its probably better, packing probably has somthing to do with it also.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #31
samwise68
FarmBoy.

the longer the glasspack, the mellower the sound. My truck has a nice babble at idle, in my opinion, and can be loud, but even when I down shift and let it rap off, there isn't any "crackling", as some have said.

-shrug-. I like the sound, I think it's fairly traditional and "period correct", if that was ever an issue. But, to each their own.

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #32
68Stepbed

The only glasspacks I've ever heard that I liked were Smithy's. A friend put some on his 53 Ford with a stock 302 and it sounded real nice. He just put a new set behind a Flathead and said he hates the way the new ones sound. It's like they're made different than before.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #33
Ol'Rover

the new ones are made much cheaper, and unfortunatly not as good quality.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #34
dznucks

when i first had my glasspacks put on they were true dual the whole way back and they did pop like everyone is saying. i dont remember the exact length but they are short, i'd say 20". I later added an H-pipe and that eliminated the popping.

but they were never really loud, they were just deep and mellow.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #35
fnoblitt

i've had flowmasters,turbo mufflers,glasspacks and i like the sounds of all of them. but this time i thought i'd try something differant, and put on a pair of magnaflows. they aren't as loud, but sound great to me and with the windows up ,it doen't dround out my radio.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #36
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

Thrush turbos sound great behind headers there a nice sound cheap. I get compliments all the time on how my truck sounds. I have it routed past the rear axle, it dumps before the rear bumper. And, without and padding or carpeting in the cab, its pretty quiet overall. I hear the rear-end whining more than the exhaust. My friends say it sounds nice and loud when she goes by though.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #37
boundstaffpress
Jamie Hyneman is my twin

Sorry no sound clips from me, but my favorite combo I've had was 350 with a set of Dynomax SuperTurbo mufflers with 2.5 pipe and an H pipe. It had a very nice low thoaty even tone. When I mashed the throttle, it really roared, but when I was cruising through my neighborhood late at night, I didn't worry that I would cause a disturbance.

SOLD 1967 K10 Fleetside, 283, Front and Rear Posi SOLD

Color Wiring Diagrams Now in High Resolution
V8 and Cab and Cab and Chassis
boundstaffpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #38
AllenKarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by boundstaffpress View Post
Sorry no sound clips from me, but my favorite combo I've had was 350 with a set of Dynomax SuperTurbo mufflers with 2.5 pipe and an H pipe. It had a very nice low thoaty even tone. When I mashed the throttle, it really roared, but when I was cruising through my neighborhood late at night, I didn't worry that I would cause a disturbance.
I have the same combo on my '64 except no H-pipe. The mufflers are dumped right over the rear axle. The Super Turbos do have a nice low rumble at idle and cruising. They're nic and quiet,but they really ROAR when you hammer down on it. It's not too loud or "crackly" at all.
AllenKarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #39
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

the best sounding truck I've ever owned was a 74 LWB with 30 in glasspacks and pipes run out under the rea bumper.It had them run out ahead of the rear tires but the sound was unbalanced.once i had the run out the rear it was much better.If you dump under the truck expect more resonance since there will be some echo.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote