The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
Chevyholic
Will it run today?

Holley to Edelbrock Swap Question

Hey guys,

I finally got fed up with my Holley Street Avenger and purchased an Edelbrock 1406. It is running awesome, but have a question for those who might be running a similar setup.

On the Edelbrock DVD it shows them putting the return spring where my kick-down cable mounts. I'm running an Edelbrock performer RPM intake and am having trouble finding a spot to locate the return spring off of the front side of the throttle linkage. Does anyone have any ideas, or pictures of this kind of setup. I have to assume that anyone would run into this problem that was running the Edelbrock with an automatic transmission.

Any ideas?
Old 05-12-2008, 03:24 AM   #2
Cochise

Re: Holley to Edelbrock Swap Question

I sprung mine off the "bolt" on the Thermostat Hose clamp
Cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
gator2511

You can buy a little chrome bracket at most auto parts stores. It will bolt in place using one of the forward intake manifold bolts and then you hook your throttle spring into one of the holes in the bracket.

Last edited by gator2511; 05-12-2008 at 05:14 PM.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I made a small flat tear drop shaped metal piece that bolts to the bottom hole of the throttle bracket on the Edelbrock carb. It has a larger 1/4" hole to let the bolt that holds the cruise control bracket onto the throttle linkage go through and then it has a 1/8" small hole for the spring. I run my return spring backwards to the throttle linkage bracket and have had no problems for years. Many connect the return spring to the top of the linkage and run it forward to some bracket or bolt and in my mind that looks kind of nasty (so I run my spring the other direction). The reason most give for running the spring from the top of the throttle linkage is to preclude the shaft wear that could come from having all of the force on the backside of the linkage (return spring AND the throttle linkage always pulling to the rear of the engine) Never had that problem--to date.

I have been running Edelbrocks and Carters for years.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
deadof_knight
FixerUpper

I use the eye that you use to pull the motor out with in the smae area as that chrome bracket that is pictured above.

Now for the kicker Ive got 4 of these puppies Eldebrocks that is and a buddy showed me where you can cut the secondary springs a little and Oh my god talk about come to life. My boys truck went from yea it runs pretty good to banged my head on the back glass ! I was like WOW!
1-Cheyenne 72 700R4,camper special all original when i got it then i improved it a little Blue and White 3.73,4 core rad, 700r4,MSD hei ,turbo muffs dual exhaust only had 50 k on it when i bought original mile sweet old ladies truck turned into a stump puller No. 2 C-10 72 w/air and Tilt and power and the cheyenne trim package shtbd is dropped 2-3w/factory tilt has torq thrust 2 rims 2003 dodge neon steel blue color
deadof_knight is offline   Reply With Quote