The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2003, 07:11 PM   #1
72gmcshorty

Bringing parts across border??

Whats the deal with bringing parts from the states into Canada? Do we need to pay duty on new parts? I would like to get some new fender eyebrows and bezels for my GMC. Just wondering if we get across free because of the age of these trucks?
Old 01-30-2003, 08:38 PM   #2
Dropt72Shortbed

bezels and fender eye brows? i say install them before you come back or just throw em under the seat
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 08:52 PM   #3
StingRay

If you declare them you will get stuck on the taxes but might beat the duty because of free trade and/or your truck qualifying as a classic. Check with a broker or Canada Customs. You can bring back a certain amount duty free anyway depending how long you are out of the country. If you are away 48 hours I think it's a couple of hundred bucks you are allowed. Once again check with Canada Customs on that.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:07 PM   #4
Rod

Well it's interesting that's for sure.

Now it depends what you mean by new parts... if they are new parts then yes you pay duty... and that duty variesin amount depending on where the parts were manufactured... if they were made in North America then the rates are better... if from off shore the rates are higher. Each item is supposes to be listed on the shipper invoice.

Pretty much if I see a price in American funds I generally double it... and thats what I expect to pay in Candian Funds.... thats goes for E-Bay items also.. I pretty much double the prices there too.

If you get items shipped to you as a personal shipment it is a little bit more helpful because Canadian Customs will do the paper work for you... if you bring stuff up as a business.. you better know all the little code numbers for each type item if you are clearing your own packages through customs.

Shipping stuff up via UPS for example... well your gonna pay UPS to clear customs... and they aint cheap. Expect about $35 Canadian Customs brokerage fees even on a 30 dollar item. Ten add the 7 % GST and then the 7% PST and well now your getting close.
Plan to spend a few hours at UPS if you want to clear item yourself.

Myself I have done this a few times and I find the best way to have stuff sent to me is send the item to a city address... just because I clear all the items myself and I dont see the point on having the shipping rate increased to deliver it to my place ... cause UPS wont because I am rural anyway. Or UPS sub-contract another courier to deliver an item to me.

I have the shipper identify on the package that the receiver.. (thats me) will clear Customs... in this way I have UPS call me and tell me the item has arrived at the depot.... Canada Customs agent are stationed at UPS depots... so they start the paper work... then I go to UPS's brokerage offices... not
in the same building or area (generally).
I get some paper work from then... then off to the UPS depot and get more paper work from them... another drive away... then off to a Canadian Customs center... another building... generally not open at convenient hours.... like 10am-4 pm. So it kinda messes up your whole day.
Then have some typical federal employee do his job... some are better than others.. but overall I have had decent dialogs with them. Take the customs officers paper work to a clerk, pay your duty.. GST + PST get a stamp on the paper work.. take it all back to UPS warehouse depot. Wait for them to find it and your on your way... only takes me a best time of 3 hours dealing with it that way and the 3 hours driving time.
So about 6 hours to get my package.
Its great FUN...LOL.

In reality it is cheapest to have items shipped UPS ... but you better clear your own packages if you dont want to pay through the nose.... now if you have small stuff shipped I prefer the USPS.. (USA post office) you still pay GST and PST on the value of the item converted to Canadian currency... but the post office only charges $5 for brokerage fee. So for snmall item I use the post office.

After all that.... hope you dont have to return anything. That nightmare I haven't got into yet. If it gets here I keep it regardless.

The opposite way... myself shipping stuff to the USA is easy and the shipping rates are very reasonable if I use Canada Post. Rod
72 Chev 1 ton tow truck 402BB w/Holmes 440 wrecker on propane
2005 FLSTSCI Harley Springer
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
72 Triumph 650 Bonneville 5spd
"Poor people don't have hobbies" Quote from wife.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:50 PM   #5
casey

72gmcshorty I just finished restoring my 714x4 and 9 times out of 10 the parts work out to be cheaper just buying them from a local supplier, Your from delta try gasoline alley in port coquitlam,1-800-663-8128, or try scotts super truck in alberta, theres no provincal tax there, some times he's cheaper 1-800-462-2438, Every part I ordered, I checked it both ways , and it was always cheaper buying in canada, When you add up the money exchange shipping duty, etc, check it out, don't be fooled by the american price tag, by the time you get it home, it's more than double
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 11:03 PM   #6
68 Suburban

Sounds like a pain in the butt.
68 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:49 AM   #7
dmec

and i thought the california dmv was bad!
dmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 04:44 AM   #8
Hooter
My other Love

Im lucky that I have a mailbox across the border and just pick up the stuff there

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 07:22 AM   #9
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

You want to try importing parts into the UK, you get to pay duty on the parts, and an admin fee and then VAT (Value added tax , kind of a sales tax) on their admin fee! It can nearly double the cost by the time the parts get to you. The only time I have been lucky is with small parts that are shipped in the mail. Sometimes I don't have any option as it can be hard finding used parts especially here.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote