The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2008, 06:04 AM   #1
Tibbetts Racing

Angry Oops! Help?

so im driving to big o to see how much new tires are going to be for my truck and the transfer case shifter starts to rattle. i figure no problem, ill just see if its loose. sure enough i get home and the bold that the shifter pivots on that goes into the transmission is loose. so i go to tighten it and at first it seems to be getting tight but the shifter still has play in it. so i go to tighten it another turn and it breaks free like it stripped it. but when i went to take the ratchet off the bolt, the shifter and half of the extended piece where the bolt threads into comes with it. i later found that there was electrical tape around it. so there is a good posibility that the previous owner cracked is and put tape over it so it would leak. but the thing is off completely and no gear oil comes out. and now i get to drive to school tomorrow looking at my one shifter and another emty boot.

me and my dad are going to try and jb weld the pieces back on and ill have to be really gentle with it. we also thought of jb welding a stud into it and just sliding on the shifter followed by a few bolts. but the only problem is that the inside diameter of the hole in the shifter is bigger than the bolt.

has anyone had a problem like this before? any information on how to fix it would help a lot. thanks.

Last edited by Tibbetts Racing; 05-09-2008 at 06:06 AM.
Tibbetts Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Prong

Re: Oops! Help?

This thread may help. Read about 5 posts down--that is if what you're referring to is what I think it is...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=286038
Prong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

If I understand correctly, you have a threaded hole that's stripped out. I put some Permatex thread repair stuff on the shifter pivot on my Harley trans about 5 years ago.

Its still there and I'd forgotten about it until now.

You might want to look into it for what its worth.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Tibbetts Racing

i have the bolt and its fine. its the case where it threads into that broke. i wish it was jut the bolt. thats an easy fix. but i have to find a good way to piece the case back together. is just the extended part from the case and about half of the metal is gone.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:17 AM   #5
Tibbetts Racing

pictures of my band-aid repair. jb weld seemed to do it. and no the rubber bands arent there to help fix it. i just put them there so the piceces wouldn't move while it was drying. should be bolting the shifter on after i put some more jb around it.

the emty shifter book ive been looking at for about a week.