The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2008, 01:18 AM   #1
yosemitesamiam

Finally Got 'er

Aiiiight...after MONTHS of waiting, I finally got my grandfather's truck in my driveway. I'll snap some pix of her later today...she is beat for sure! My uncle drove her for 5 years after my grandfather had passed, and used it everyday as a plumbing work truck, carrying three tool boxes and copper pipe for about 80,000 miles. She has around 300K on her frame now...and about the same 80K on the engine. Running good, A/C works, frame is straight...everything else needs work. The driver door and fender were hit about a year ago while it was parked on a street. It really did a number on the camping mirror that side as well. It also needs a passenger front fender from a previous run in with GODKNOWSWHAT. Other than that, just a wee bit of bubbled-type rust on the nose of the hood that can be dug out and filled real easy, and some light surface rust in places inside the bed...and that is all. Valley truck, been in SoCal its entire life. Needs the interior gutted, and needs in the worst way, a driver side seatbelt...sucker is shredded to bits! Needs paint bad. Needs weather sealing all around...again, valley truck....they don't rust, the wrot!

Mechanically, has a trans leak in the TH350...coming from the speedo tube extender. I have been told this particular case will require taking the trans apart to fix from the inside. Seriously considering Right Stuff instead. Other than that, runs fantastic...oh also, pretty sure the silenoid is dead for the driver side fuel tank...just auto switches back to right side...would be cool to get that fixed, since 16 gallons will about get me to the next station and not much more.

Anyhow...just good to have her still in the family.

-Sam

Last edited by yosemitesamiam; 05-15-2008 at 01:19 AM.
yosemitesamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:34 AM   #2
streetstar

Re: Finally Got 'er

cool man ----- you know how this board is -- we just like old trucks, doesn't matter if its tired and beat, or a 75k custom

fire up a pic

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:25 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i love to hear about a family member getting hold of an old truck that was beat on and neglected and restoring it to its original or better.. its only a shame your grandfather wont get to see it back in its glory... welcome to the board and keep us updated with lots of pics

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:42 AM   #4
yosemitesamiam

Yeah buddy! Restore is in order. The truck isn't as bad as I had thought. Really hadn't seen it in 4 years or so. Like I said, surface rust. The weather moldings are in worse shape than the body!

As for pix, they are coming now...going to get them uploaded to my server, and gett'rdone!
Old 05-15-2008, 05:02 AM   #5
yosemitesamiam

second thought, hold that thought...my card reader is still packed somewhere!
Old 05-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
84 400
Sb 400 club

Welcome aboard from NH,

Always great to hear about a truck with sentimental meaning getting the TLC it deserves. Aside from the overall clean up what is the plan? Daily driver or something crazy? From the sounds of it your going to restore it bit by bit and that sounds good to me.

Good luck with your project
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

After all that work the truck has done over the years it deserves to be restored. Pictures please.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
slug

glad to hear you aquired your grandfathers truck. i hope to hand my 83 down to my kids when they get old enough to appreciate it. i know your grandfather would be proud to know your takeing on this project. good luck.