The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2003, 04:25 PM   #1
smokekiki
Mike

Fire Extinguishers

I have noticed some posts about some fires.If you don't have an extinguisher You should really think about getting one.Its better to clean the residue off your truck than it is to clean Your truck off the road. My brother-in-law shows a 57 chevy convertible at the AACA shows.They are required to have an extinguisher to be in the show. Just a suggestion
Old 01-31-2003, 05:35 PM   #2
694X4

Yep I agree I had two trucks catch fire on me and only had a fire extingisher for one. The first was a 88 ford 4x4, I was pulling some guys out of a swamp and ended up stuck while I was trying to figure out how to get out the headers caught the grass on fire under it. Had 2nd degree burns on both my hads from laying on the ground and trying to get under it and putting out the grass with my hands. The other was my 69 which was some kind of electrical fire in the engine compartment and I had a fire but got burnt again trying to yank the battery cables off. Now I never leave home with out one.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:20 PM   #3
treefrog

Fire extinguisher

Let's see; Fire extinguisher, $ 30. Truck, $ 15,000. Humm, I'll have to think about it. With the amount of tinkering/modifications we do to these things, if anybody doesn't have one, your nuts, IMHO.
TF
treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 07:47 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

A fire extinguisher AND a pair of diagonal cutters.

I, too, had an electrical "fire" in my '69, when the wire to the alternator got pulled toward the headers and shorted out 12V from the battery to ground. At 6am, the glow of an electrical short is not very bright but easy to find in the dark. However, pulling the wire apart with your bare hands is NOT RECOMMENDED! I know, because I did it. I will tell you that the burns will heal, but the pain is not easily forgotten.

So, know that an ABC fire extinguisher is NOT usable on a shorted electrical wire fire UNTIL the short circuit is interrupted. For that, you should keep a good pair of diagonal cutters to clip the shorted wire, if you can't immediately locate the grounded wire.

And remember the rules of using any fire extinguisher are found in the PASS acronym: (1) Pull the pin (2) Aim at the base of the fire (3) Squeeze the handle (4) Sweep from side to side.

I won't promise this is a fool-proof technique, but it is pretty good.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote