The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
jgrisafi
Velocity Speed Shop

Ball Joints!!

Does anyone know if it is really that hard to change out ball joints? I am puting new drop spindles on my truck and was told to change the ball joints as well. Is there not a special tool that I need to change these out?
jgrisafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
oldspowered67C10

Re: Ball Joints!!

The uppers just bolt in, no special tools required. The lowers are pressed in and do require some kind of tool. You can hammer out the old ones sometimes but youll most likely have to use some kind of press to install the new ones. You can either rent or buy a ball joint press(kinda like a really beefy c-clamp) or you can remove the lower arm and have them pressed in at the machine shop.
oldspowered67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

The uppers only "bolt-in" after you cut/drill out the rivets. Unless they have already been changed, the factory used rivets, but they go back together with bolts.
The lowers are a press situation either way.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
79gmcsierragrande
Manual Transmission Club

In the Haynes Manual under ball joints it shows how to make a removal tool out of a bolt, socket and nut, I'm about to try it in the next couple of days I'll let you know how it comes out.
79gmcsierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:36 PM   #5
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79gmcsierragrande View Post
In the Haynes Manual under ball joints it shows how to make a removal tool out of a bolt, socket and nut, I'm about to try it in the next couple of days I'll let you know how it comes out.
don't forget that if you have an auto parts store near you, they probably have a free loan program.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
HotRodYJ

I have the BJ tool and a press at homke now, but years ago we used to use knock out the lower's with a big hammer, then use the weight of the car to press in the new lower BJ using a floor jack and a block of wood. Basically just lack it up and the weight of the car will do the "pressing". Now I use the proper tool, but it always worked great.

If your just changing spindles, the upper BJ is all that should need to be changed assuming your lowers are still in good shape. As said before, on the uippers you grind out the old rivets and bolt a new BJ back in. I put dropped spindles on my 71 and the instruactions said I would have to use a 73-87 upper BJ and outer TRE's. My upper BJ actual fit perfectly and I didn't have to shange it, but the TRE did have to change.

My junk: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=480902

Last edited by HotRodYJ; 05-20-2008 at 01:55 PM.
HotRodYJ is offline   Reply With Quote