The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2008, 06:38 AM   #1
jgrisafi
Velocity Speed Shop

What to do about the drop!!!!

Ok............here's what I have goin' on. I went out to my truck and took a few more pictures for yall to see. The truck was already at this stance when I bought it from the guy in Tennessee. I really don't know how much of a drop it already has and how to figure that out, so if anyone could let me know that would be great. I think that the truck has a great stance already, but the pictures of the rear end show that the coils need replacing, real bad. I'm just not sure what size drop coils that I need to replace them with to get the same stance it already has. Does that make sense? Anyway. The front looks like the coils were cut because nothing else on the front was replaced with new parts, i.e spindles, coils, shocks. So.....my question for the front is.......should I go ahead and replace the spindles with 2 1/2" drop spindles or leave everything the way it is and just upgrade all the bump stops, bushings, etc to polyurethane? I'm sure that would make a huge difference in the ride quality. OH, and should I go ahead and relocate the rear shocks and upgrade those as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated from yall. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

jgrisafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:39 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: What to do about the drop!!!!

Yikes! Those rear springs are crap for sure.

In order to 'guesstimate' your drop, we'll need some side view pics. Look @ ECE's website for their 'stance' profile pics to get an idea of what you want.

I would go through & inspect the front/rear suspension replacing worn parts as needed (up-grading @ the same time). Poly bushings are not needed w/the a-arms on 67-72's because they're already just a rubber-lined steel bushing/bearing which provide minimal deflection vs. post-73's w/rubber bushings.

What's the measurement between the top of the frame rail & the top of the trailing-arm (directly in front of the rear coils)?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-14-2008 at 07:46 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
bw4sale

Quote:
I would go through & inspect the front/rear suspension replacing worn parts as needed (up-grading @ the same time).
I second that. I had a truck that looked like it had a drop in the front, but upon further inspection it was just worn out parts. A complete front end rebuild would have brought it up another 2-3 inches. It all has an effect on the final stance.

-'68 Stepside Project
-'98 Z71 Daily Driver
-Enough extra parts to build another truck and a half
bw4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
jimmydean

Looks like someone got happy with a torch. You might be better of starting from scratch with all new drop coils.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
HotRodYJ

Judging from the bumpstop clearance on the front, that looks like maybe 2" lower than stock to me. They probably cut the spings a coil or so. In the back, looks like they heated the coil, definetly the wrong way to do it. I'm guessing a 2/4 drop would get you pretty close to what your at now. THat can be done with new coils all around, but it will ride a bit stiffer up front. Your rear is basically bottomed out anyway, so...

My junk: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=480902

Last edited by HotRodYJ; 05-14-2008 at 05:20 PM.
HotRodYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:45 AM   #6
jgrisafi
Velocity Speed Shop

I already have 4" drop coils to replace the rear worn out coils. And I think that I will get that shock relocater kit from CPP that includes the new shocks. So you think that I can just get away with replacing the front coils and not the spindles? I can just buy 2" or 3" drop coils for the front and get the same look as it has now without the 2 1/2" drop spindles? I am planning on running 18x8's up front and 20x10's out back.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:50 AM   #7
jgrisafi
Velocity Speed Shop

I have a few side pictures of my truck. This might help figure out the stance.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2008, 01:58 AM   #8
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

I would go ahead and install the 2.5" drop spindles on the front, that way the front will be lowered but still have the same geometry as a stock setup. By installing only drop springs, you lose a little be of the factory geometry. I'm planning on running ECE's 4.5/6 setup on my truck. Check out ECE's website here...

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:19 AM   #9
jgrisafi
Velocity Speed Shop

So........... should I get the 2 1/2" drop spindles as well as 1" drop coils, or just the spindles and stay with the coils already on there?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #10
HotRodYJ

If you had stock uncut front coils, I'd go with spindles only, but in your case the front springs have been cut os God forbid heated so they really should be replaced. For this reason, I'd go with a new 2" or 3" front coils and call it good for the stance you want. New lowering coils in the front however do tend to ride a bit rougher, so be prepared for that.

My 71 Chevy that I had up till about a month ago, I went 3" coils and dropped spindles up front. It was quite a bit lower than what your aiming for.

My junk: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=480902
HotRodYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
scotts62
One day...

Ya, looks like they just heated the springs in the back and maybe the front, looks more like they cut them. if it was mine i would buy drop coils in the back like 5 in, and do new dropped coils and spindles in the front. But thats just me, slam that badboy!!

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:22 AM   #12
jgrisafi
Velocity Speed Shop

scotts62............Your idea sounds great, but I'm assuming that I would have to c-notch the rearend right?
Old 05-16-2008, 02:24 PM   #13
scotts62
One day...

I didn't have to on mine, when you buy the dropped coils they are shorter and have less coils but still function correctly there just shorter. Now if your are hauling stuff in it still and need more clearance then ya it wouldn't hurt to C notch it. I got my c-notches the first time from classicperformanceproducts.com

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #14
jgrisafi
Velocity Speed Shop

I think that I will go ahead and get the drop spindles for the front. Install them and see what it looks like and put the 4" drop coils out back and take a good look at the stance. I guess from there I can figure out if I should replace the front coils and maybe go with 1" or 2" drop coils up front as well and maybe a 1" block out back for a 5" drop. I think that would give me a good stance. Thanks for all the help guys, very much appreciated.

---------------------------------------------------
My Build Thread ..... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=288143

My Garage ..... http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/OCD69