The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2003, 01:59 AM   #1
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

friend wants to drop his 72'

my friend has a 72' lwb and he wants to lower it. he told me today that he decided on a 3/4 to make his truck look like this one. he wants to put 3" drop coils in the front and 4" of drop blocks in the back.

i'm not sure about this, but can you use drop blocks on the back of the rear setup of his truck?

i've been trying to talk him into spending the money to do it right and get spindles and new coils or coilovers in the rear.

oh i should mention that i'm pretty sure he has a coil rearend, but not 100% positive.

i also told him he should get new shocks, but said that he has some stock lenght rancho shocks that are pretty new that he will use.
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:06 AM   #2
brad2

If it is a coil rearend he can use blocks. Don't think I would use anything bigger than two inches though.
brad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:07 AM   #3
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally posted by brad2
If it is a coil rearend he can use blocks. Don't think I would use anything bigger than two inches though.
okay. i told him that 4" of drop blocks probably wasnt a good idea. but does any of my friends listen to me? the only one with a dropped truck? NOOOOOO
Old 02-01-2003, 02:08 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Same deal with the front, if he can even find 3 inch drop springs, he won't like them. Bump steer and hardly any spring travle makes for a poor ride.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:13 AM   #5
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally posted by longhornmail
Same deal with the front, if he can even find 3 inch drop springs, he won't like them. Bump steer and hardly any spring travle makes for a poor ride.
yeah, i've been really pushing the spindles on him, but i dont think he knows that i am smarter than he is.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:13 AM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

2" is about all you want to go on a front spring to keep geometry in check. i would suggest a 2 1/2" drop spindle, with a 1" drop spring. At the rear, you can use a block, but figure 2" to be max to keep suspension parts above scrub lines with a 15" wheel(no way will a 4" block work). A 4" spring would be a better way to go. He can also probably figure on a shock relocator kit for the rear, & should check to see that the rear diff is still centered after the drop....if not, its time for an adjustable panhard bar. crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:18 AM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Just tell him to torch his springs.
Just kidding.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 03:10 PM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Crazy L is right about the front drop.He will never like the way it will handle,if he can get it alighned.On the rear I would use 2" drop springs with 2' blocks to get 4".
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote