The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2008, 02:21 AM   #1
award280

Help IDing this Holley

Hey gang.

I need some help figuring out what Holley I have here. I've gotten the all the numbers that are stamped on the thing and the closest I could find was a 580 that was sold on the 66-67 Corvettes. But when I got the rebuild kit for that carb, it turned out it wasn't for a matching carb. If any of you guys could point me in the right direction so I can finally get this thing tuned. If I slowly accelerate, it is fine, but it I get on it, it falls on its face. I'm not sure if I'm running lean or rich or whatever. Anyway, before I digress any further....

If any of you guys could tell me which adjustment screw is for the idle and which one is for the power circuit.

Last edited by award280; 05-23-2008 at 02:23 AM. Reason: linking pics
award280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:58 AM   #2
f.monroe

Re: Help IDing this Holley

Looks like a basic 600 vac secondary Holley config . The small screws on the metering plate are where you adjust the idle fuel mixture . If you have a vac gauge , adjust them to obtain max vacuum . If not turn them in until it starts to change the idle then back then out one full turn . Adjust the float levels so that they are in the siteglass range . I used to adjust mine so that the level of fuel was at the bottom of the hole and if the truck was rocked a little , the fuel would spill out . The bolt with the compressed spring on the driver side by your return spring bracket is the adjustment for the accelerator pump . Push it to make sure it squirts gas . That way you will know if the diaphram is good . If so , adjust it so that there is little to no slack between the bottom of the bolt and the accelerator pump arm . Those are basic adjustments . You can get more info from some others that are more knowledgeable than me on Holleys but that is how I used to do it when I had a Holley years ago . Frank

Last edited by f.monroe; 05-23-2008 at 02:59 AM.
f.monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
Pushrod226

Re: Help IDing this Holley

Looks like a mixture of holleys. A modified sounds better. You'll have to remove the carb from the intake to find out what size throttle blades/bores are on it so you can determine what cfm it is.

It's sometimes difficult to determine what exactly it is once the choke housing has been lopped off. Based on what I see, I'd venture to guess it's a 600.

Most of the vacume secondary holleys didn't have a secondary metering block so its kinda hard to say whether its original or not.

http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...%20Listing.pdf

There's some info there. I also recomend getting a book that details how to rebuild and modify holleys.

From what you say though I'd be lookin at the primary accelerator pump and the power valve making sure everything is setup to work together.

Don't give up to quickly, even a brand new carb out of the box will require some tuning to the power valve and jets.

As said above, vacume guage required.
Pushrod226 is offline   Reply With Quote