The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
fleetsidefive8

Talking 56 GMC chop

I have acquired a 56 GMC, and soon gonna chop it. will post pics as soon as I can. I would like to hear some feedback from anyone who has some input on the subject.....I do realize from other threads glass is the issue. But just the same, any info will help me move foward. I do want to go with big back window for the chop. try to make it as hard as possible. thanks alot.
fleetsidefive8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Gene Sharp

Re: 56 GMC chop

I might be tempted to get my glass cut first then make the top fit it
but have never done one just dreamed of it

Gene Sharp
Gene Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #3
weldvair@embarqmail.

Why not extend the cab about 3". It then looks chopped & gives you more interior room.
It just is not worth the aggrivation to chop a top w/a curver windshield.

I extended my cab/pic attached

Don Meyer
Attached Images

Last edited by weldvair@embarqmail.; 05-19-2008 at 11:18 PM. Reason: add pic
weldvair@embarqmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
Gene Sharp

here is a stretched cab truck I found somewhere and saved picture of
hope it is OK to post
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2008, 11:53 PM   #5
mr48chev

It's going to take a second top to do it and I would suggest having a serious discussion with your glass man before even starting.

The last guy I knew around this area who chopped a vehicle with a wraparound windshield payed for three new windshields before they got one cut and installed without breaking.

I do see that Bob's Classic autoglass shows both the windshield and a laminated big back window
http://app.vendio.com/storefront?vie...&mode=1&pnum=3

Home page http://www.bobsclassicautoglass.com/

You might ask them and see if they can do chopped glass for that truck. As Gene Sharp said, it may be a lot easier to make the truck fit the glass than the glass fit the truck.

The glass guys hate to work on my chopped 48 with flat glass so you can just imagine their reaction to a chopped big window.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:08 AM   #6
Gene Sharp

just something to think about many cabs get narrower as you go up so it maybe better to cut off top and cut it into 4 sections then plan on putting on a whole new top skin which will cover it all
also on some older hot rods the front windshielf ws laid backby bending the door posts thus makeing a little larger windshield work
All just little things to consider

Gene Sharp
Old 05-20-2008, 04:16 AM   #7
bigsnookmaster

I chopped my 67 about twenty years ago,and here's a few things to consider:When you make your cuts,make the top cuts first,then your lower cuts second,or else you'll have a flimsy piece to try to cut.I cut and sectioned my top into four pieces then put a donor skin on top of that.I also had donor pieces to fill in the gap where it was sectioned.I dont know if your truck has to be sectioned.If you lean the windshield posts,you change the arch of the curve of the glass,if you know what I mean.The bottom of the windshield will "raise up".Thats why people who lean posts have plexiglass windshields.Doors got longer for me,so you need extra frames for the glass opening.On the top,Weld a spot at a time jumping around alot to keep from warping.On my rear posts I tacked small piece of filler sheetmetal inside the posts to act as a sleeve and to have some backing incase there is any gaps in the cuts,which there probably will be.I chopped mine 4".,which is 4 level inches.After cutting and re-attaching it measured 5-1/4"less,but was lowered 4".Measure and mark right on the truck and doors all glass opening sizes before doing any cutting,so you have alot of reference points.Heres a couple pics,hope this helps you out,and even though I'm not an expert I'll help any way I can.Goodluck
Attached Images

bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:34 AM   #8
fleetsidefive8

thanks alot for all the input.. you all brought up good things to consider. love the idea of strecthing cab @ door....cuting the glass first probably best thought or just cut it and run it with out glass!thats why goggles where invented. Oh yeah this cab does taper to top,so section 4 way most likely. would love t o see other pic like the 67.great truck.
fleetsidefive8 is offline   Reply With Quote