The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2008, 01:43 AM   #1
Zapp168

VIN plate help

Hi guys, I just got a 68 Chevy pickup project. The issue is I am missing the VIN plate at the door. The VIN is in the glove box and matches the VIN on the frame. Someone started to restore the truck and dismantled it (interior, motor, trans..etc. I have searched the internet, but cannot even find a picture of what the tag is supposed to look like? Could anyone post some pics? You may cover some of your numbers if you feel uncomfortable. It looks like there were two tags? I am going to register the truck with the current VIN. If I can find a company that makes replacement tags, I will go that route.
Thanks......
Zapp168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:48 AM   #2
john
member #16

Re: VIN plate help

to the board. There is a pic in this thread.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=156039
I think some years differed in looks.

Last edited by john; 05-17-2008 at 01:50 AM.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:10 AM   #3
Zapp168

Thanks that clears it up a bit, any other pictures will be appreciated. There is a tool box on the back of the truck loaded to the top with parts, I am going to rumage through it and hope they got tossed there. Is there any pertinant information about the truck on the second (lower) plate? I have so many ideas about doing this truck my head is spinning....LOL. How do you post pics on this board? Thanks again
Old 05-17-2008, 02:54 AM   #4
DavesRide

Look on the frame rail on drivers side top just even with the rear of the P/S pump. It is there also and if they match then it is all original. In Missouri if the highway patrol is looking for a stolen vehicle they look there. One of the two has got to match the title. I was talking with a guy last night who deals with buying and selling old cars and trucks. He stated that the frame number was a little more important due to the fact that a cab could get crashed and replaced and still have the same title. In the early fifties there was no vin tag but rather the numbers on the engine block matched the title.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
Zapp168

I got the VIN off the frame, it matches the glovebox VIN. I just don't want headaches before I put time and money into this truck. Rather have at least something there.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:35 AM   #6
Zapp168

Just an update, I had to have the VIN inspected, they said the frame number and the glove box number were enough to register the truck I am still going to look into having a new tag made, but all is well for now.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:51 AM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I would try anything and everything you can to get that plate made, be it from the starte (the legit way) of from someone who can illegally reproduce them and make it look real.
Technicly, even if the state said it is OK... it isn't.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote