The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
SactoJim

MSD Guru's

Before I rip this crap outa my truck and throw in on the ground and stomp up and down on it, then take a sledge to it and then finally blast it a few times with the 12 ga.!!!!!.......thought I would see if anybody here has had similar problems or ideas what the prob might be.

I don't have too much patience for electrical problems!!!

See long read I posted in the msd tech forum.

http://www.msdignition.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12024
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:04 AM   #2
70rs/ss

Re: MSD Guru's

I'd send the box back to MSD, they will rebuild or check it out for a small fee. The problem does not sound like a wiring issue, as it is all new. If there are no lose connections and everything was conected as it was supposed to, I'd guess the box, or the timing RPM limiter as the culprit. Do you have another ignition you could install to locate the source (new ignition, same problem, then wiring or ign switch, new ign, no problem then MSD stuff?)
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:09 AM   #3
72swb_327stroker_?
knuckle buster..

Re: MSD Guru's

hey jim, hows those mufflers?

i had the same problem with a procomp version of the msd 6a and blew it up with some fireworks. then i bought the real deal and it seemed to be fine for 3-4 weeks until it did the same thing.. after checking all my wiring over and over it seams i had a short in a bad switch for the kill switch from the white wire coming out of the box. replaced the switch and it was fixed for good. the white wire from the box is for points i believe, but when using an hei you dont need the white wire and using this or grounding it will act as a kill switch.....cutting power to the msd ignition box. just something to look into as i had a very similar situation, at least if thats not it.... you are closer to the solution..right?

also can you describe how its wired? i spent alot of time with the msd techs and with a couple of speed shop buddies trying to peg the same problem. it usually ends up somewhere in the wires, connections, or a bad box. good thing is, you can send it back to msd and include 40 bucks and they will send you a new or rebuilt one at their discretion. gotta love electronics, huh?

let me know.

THIS SITE ROCKS!!!

Check out my suburban on 20's with fresh paint!
Click here to support the site
Check out the Member Photo Gallery here
StreetCruizin
FAQ thread
Site vendors list (scroll down to vendors in red)
join the the smilies fight club
72swb_327stroker_? is offline   Reply With Quote