The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2008, 05:35 AM   #1
JEC32

Problem with 49 Chevy rolling CHASSIS

Researched all the Chassis company`s out there and kicked this around more than I can say before finally settling on one. Purchased a chassis almost a yr. ago(Locked in price) and looked to start once I retire. Have really been looking forward to getting away from all the B.S. that goes with the Const. Trades and working at my own pace, building something I could enjoy.
That time has arrived and have started. Here we go, problems right out of the gate. First have problem with spindle( not enough machined to accept calipers). Next, same spindle has screwed up threads. Call supplier and explain (It`s been almost a yr.) problem, They ask if I could (Chase threads) otherwise purchase a pair of spindles. O well, I shine it on saying to myself "I should have looked things over better". I chase the threads and mill the spindle (temporarilly anyway) so I can get this together.
The plan has been to assemble everything, check fitments,run fuel and brake lines and make sure all brackets work before painting!
Here is the kicker! seems CROSS MEMBER was installed incorrectly. Lower and Upper A-Arms are at different dimensions, this has also affected the power rack. Anyway a friend with Suspension Shop is going to have a look at this and see if things are not as bad as they seem, Well find out. MORE TO COME!
JEC32 is offline   Reply With Quote