The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
engrdean

Intake Install Problems

I finally got around to putting my intake back on my '70 sb. Ordered a new set of ARP bolts, got everything cleaned up and painted, and read the posts about how to do it right with the gasket sealer on the ends. I started torquing things down in the correct sequence and ran into several bolts that I could not get to catch any threads and start unless I removed the washer. I verified that the bolts are the same as the ones I took off, although I am not sure that there were washers before. I also managed to strip out the threads in the head on one of the bolts. I used a torque wrench and did not over torque any bolts.

I plan to use a heli coil to fix the stripped threads, but I am confused why the bolts seem to be to short. If they are just barely catching when I torque them down, then I am worried I am going to strip more threads out when I put it back togather again. I could get longer bolts, but since I just spent $30 on these and they are the same size as the ones I took off, I would like to make them work if I can. Anybody have any ideas what I am doing wrong here?
engrdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
Billla
Account Suspended

Re: Intake Install Problems

There's another thread regarding this - the Under Head Length (UHL) of the standard ARP SBC bolts is 1"...and the OEM length is 1.25". It's a bit odd - but when I called ARP they noted that it would only be an issue if the OEM lift brackets were used. If you have NOTHING between the washer and the intake, I'm not sure why they'd be too short.

The solution is to use the ARP BBC intake bolts which are all 1.25 UHL - I now use those as my standard SBC bolts.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
engrdean

Billla, I appreciate the speedy reply. I didn't have any brackets attached, just bolts, washers and intake. Looks like the only real solution is to buy new bolts anyways, especially since I will be attaching brackets at some point. Thanks again.

Last edited by engrdean; 05-23-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:21 AM   #4
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Just a suggestion, if you don't want to shoot a Helicoil, you may want to check into Permatex, or Loc-Tite thread repair kits.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:42 AM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Quick question.Is this a stock manifold?If not it may be thicker thru the web where the bolts go making the threaded part of the bolt,that engages the threads effectively shorter.This is just the first thought that popped into my head before I read the other replies.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:03 AM   #6
Sammy

PanelDeland has a good point. Also the torque is different on Eldebrock intakes. Less torque I believe. Do a search I posted the torque a month ago along with sequence.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:25 AM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrdean View Post
Billla, I appreciate the speedy reply. I didn't have any brackets attached, just bolts, washers and intake. Looks like the only real solution is to buy new bolts anyways, especially since I will be attaching brackets at some point. Thanks again.
You want to be careful with the length of the bolts for the four holes between the two center cylinders. I can't remember if it's the exhausts or the intakes but two of the holes line up with the pushrods and too long a bolt will hit the pushrods and bend them.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:59 AM   #8
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

I've been through this same thing. You can search my name and find how I repaired this.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #9
70c10
67-72 Addict!

engrdean- keep us posted! I just went back and read s/t's thread. I never did take my sbc ARP bolts back to exchange but now that I received my heads, I might set the intake and brackets on the new heads and test fit everything with generic bolts to see if I need to exchange my bolts. Hopefully they will let me exchange if need be because I bought them awhile back. After rereading the thread as long as the bolt doesn't "exceed" 1.25" I should be ok, but then again is my new intake thinner than a stocker???

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
engrdean

This is the stock manifold. Sport/Truck, I think I saw your post before but had forgotten about it. I am using the ARP bolts and they are the same length as the the bolts I took out, which I am pretty sure are stock. I will check and see if they are 1" or 1.25". I am almost positive that they are the ARP 434-2101. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:45 AM   #11
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

FWIW ARP only offered the BBC in 1.25 also 1.5's. (The SBC are 1.0)
I'm not sure why ARP does this knowing the stock length is 1.25!
Are you going to use a helicoil?
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote