The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2003, 06:56 PM   #1
19mike69

dropping in dist

ive put a new intake and carb on and now i need to put my HEI back in...whats the best way to do it?....ive been told to bump the motor to TDC and all that....how do i need to do this?
19mike69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 07:01 PM   #2
Gordo

Smile

Remove the #1 spark plug and place a finger/thumb covering the hole, have a buddy jog the engine over gently with the key, when you feel compression blowing by your finger stop jogging with the key and continue to turn engine by hand until the mark on the harmonic balancer lines up with 0 TDC on the scale, now drop the dist in with the rotor pointing towards #1 on the cap, if the dist fails to drop down the last 1/4 inch have your buddy jog the engine with the key again while your gently applying downward pressure on the dist, this will line up the oil pump drive shaft for you. Repeat procedure with dist installed and double check #1 on cap in relation to the rotor.
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 08:45 PM   #3
19mike69

Gordo....thanks alot....i got it in and it runs great but....now i have some sort of other problem....when i drove it down the road it ran great,idled great...but when you push the pedal all the way to the floor it sticks...and when you finally get it unstuck you can hear,and feel and bang...almost like a broke motor mount or something....i checked the linkage and its not getting hung on anything....could a broke motor mount put the linkage in enough of a bind that it would stick?....how do you check a motor mount to see if its broke and how do you replace it with the motor in the truck?....any help from you guys will be greatly appreciated...thanks
19mike69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:07 PM   #4
cableguy0

yea if they are original motor mounts they are very dangerous. ur lucky it didnt stick wide open and run u out of control. just look at the mounts if it looks tore up replace it. they arent very expensive and are extremely important to vechile safety
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:17 PM   #5
Gordo

Smile

Trucks and cars in those years before they used a cable operated throttle were recalled for that reason. The dealerships would install new motor mounts and a wire cable and clamp around the driverside exhaust manifold to the driverside upper control arm assembly as a safety device to not allow the engine to jump up when mount was broken. The replacement motor mounts you purchase now should be the redesigned type with a built in safety device.
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote